Logo

2000 mercruiser 50L second problem throttle leak

"Hello all, new to this so be

"Hello all, new to this so be kind. I have two problems with my used Sea Ray Sundeck with a Mercruiser 5.0L inboard outboard setup. Here is the second. Sorry for the wrong terminology. I know somthing about engines but not boats. On the starboard side of the engine bolted to the rises(I think) is the throtle linkage for thr engine carb. The botttom of the two cables is leaking salt water. The leak is relatively small, about a drip every 10 seconds. Not sure how or why there is a drip, is the cable not a wire within a housing and why would salt water be in the cable? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Any thoughts Thanks Dawg"

"Shift cable probably. Does i

"Shift cable probably. Does it leak at the riser end? Or is it leaking where it enters from the transom? The outside of the shift cable has a bellows covering it. If it is split then the water is getting inside the cable. You'll need to replace the lower shift cable and bellows together. Check the condition of the other bellows and water hose. Replace all 3 bellows w/ the shift cable and water inlet hose. You need a manual to do this work. The U-joints need to be inspected and lubed. The engine's alignment needs to be checked and adjusted if needed before reinstalling the OD. Replace the impeller and associated pump parts as needed while you are there. The gimbal bearing needs inspected, replaced if rough and lubed."

"Guy, it is leaking at the ris

"Guy, it is leaking at the riser end up by the carb. So this cable is routed out at some point into the water environment and then thru the transom? I have not attempted to follow it back yet. Does it also pass thru the same thru hole fitting as the trim sender and limiter leads? Does the location affect your advise?
What manuals do you suggest, factory from Merc another source?
I greatly appreciate your help in sorting this out!!Dawg"

"You need to pull the drive an

"You need to pull the drive and see where the water is intering the shift cavity at the bellhousing. the shift shaft at the bellhousing has a seal that fails and lets water into the shift cavity in the bellhousing. Also the sealing area where the drive mates to the bellhousing has a very thin wall and have seen this area damaged while someone uses a screwdriver to pry off the drive, this kind of damage is bad and usualy requires the replacement of the bellhousing.
As I said you will need to pull the drive to find the leak, the water is traveling up the cable and leaking at the other end.
hope this helps some."

"Thanks all, greatly appreciat

"Thanks all, greatly appreciate all the advise and expertise. I realize how limited my knowledge is. I think this may need to wait for now, if this is not a major damge issue. Is this an issue that will cause damage over time? Obviously the leak at the cable is one issue, but is there other potential damage going on?

Anyone suggest a good manual? There are a few and noy sure which way to go.
Thanks Dawg"

"Guy thanks again, figured as

"Guy thanks again, figured as much. The manual source is excellent. Time to start reading!!!Thank you all again DAWG"

Back