Logo

2000 50L Mercruiser trim sender wire cut

"Hello all, new to this so be

"Hello all, new to this so be kind. I have two problems with my used Sea Ray Sundeck with a Mercruiser 5.0L inboard outboard setup. Here is the first, The Trim sender wire coming from the starboard side sender unit is cut. Looks like the previous owners cut it when reinstalling the drive in the spring. My Trim gauge has topped out in the up position and will not move. I assume the starboard sender unit sends the signal to the gauge, Correct?
Repairing the wire is not a problem but the wire goes thru the transom thru an opening. The wire will not move in or out at all, so I assume this is a water tight fitting to avoid water entering the bilge area. How do I remove this fitting to replace this wire? Does the drive have to be taken apart to acces it? Access is very limited with the drive turned to port. Very difficult to see the area from the bilge side?
Also there are two wires visible from the bilge side coming thru that are identical to the sender wire, one going to the hydraulic pump and the other is tied to the engine. Which is the sender wire and thus the cut one? The wire tied to the engine?

So any thoughts on how to replace the wire? Thanks Dawg!!!"

Is there enough wire left on t

Is there enough wire left on the sender to use a shrink tubing butt connector? One of the leads connects to the engine ground while the other goes to the gauge via the engine barrel plug.

"Guy, thanks for the response.

"Guy, thanks for the response. There is about three inches of the wire exposed but with the outboard installed you cannot reach the wire to work on it. It must be removed to the engine compartment or pulled out thru the transom to be repaired, and thus the question.
So is the wire that is tied up to the engine is
the sender wire as opposed to the wire running to the pump?
How would i remove this wire? Thanks Dawg"

The starboard puck is the trim

The starboard puck is the trim position sender. The port side is the trim limit switch. If you can not splice the two cut wires then you need to remove the OD and loosen the gimbal ring to loosen the cover plate to replace the sender and wire as a unit. Lots of work.

"Ouch Gary, that was my gut fe

"Ouch Gary, that was my gut feeling, the wires enter an openig thru a ring with a nocth above and below. Is that the "gimbal ring"? Inside the engine compartment , you can see the two wires, I am assuming one is the the trim limiter and the other the sender. Which is which, Again I am assuming the one going to the hydraulic pump is the limiter and the one to the engine is the sender? Thanks Dawg!!!!

P.S.: did you see my other post with regards to my leaking trottle cable? Thanks"

"Again I am assuming the o

"Again I am assuming the one going to the hydraulic pump is the limiter and the one to the engine is the sender"

That assumption is correct.

Thanks Guy I will attempt to r

Thanks Guy I will attempt to repair it thru the narrow opening but not likely due to the limited space. Otherwise it will wait for another day. Thanks agsin Dawg

Back