Logo

OOOPS 74 Stern Drive snapped clean off at transome

tbone

I bought a package of boat wit

I bought a package of boat with motor and trailer to get the trailer. I am now going to check the engine in the boat to see if it's o.k. two questions. . .

Where do I tap into the water system to run the motor where the stern drive no longer exists?

How to I take precautions just incase the motor took on water?

The guy I bought it from said he shut off the motor just as soon as he hit the rock and he said the water was up to his calves standing on the floor of the boat by the time they hauled it up out of the water.

"TBone
Take the water hose of

"TBone
Take the water hose off from the inside of the transom and join that hose with a garden hose with clamps and barb fittings, whatever it takes.
Check the oil to make sure it is not milky, pull the spark plugs out and turn the engine over to see if any water comes out. If everything is good, put the plugs back in, turn the water on and fire it up. Good luck

Jeff"

"In most applications, with wa

"In most applications, with water calve height on the deck the motor would almost be underwater.
drain the crankcase
pull the plugs, try to turn motor over
expect to replace all wiring and electrical components that were underwater
If this situation is more than 24-36 hours old, it`s already junk."

Thanks Jeff.

This motor is

Thanks Jeff.

This motor is said to be new by the previous owner. Can this be verified somewhere by the serial number? I came across it cheap due to the previous owner's disgust with the hole scenario. I have no need for the motor so I will sell after checking it out. I just want to make sure I know exactly what I’m trying to sell to people. Under these circumstances somebody’s going to get a great deal on a motor!

"Thanks Bt_Doctur,

Please c

"Thanks Bt_Doctur,

Please clarify what you mean by your last statement . . . "If this situation is more than 24-36 hours old, it`s already junk." Are you referring to the wiring or the motor or both? This boat was in fresh water, would there still be this extremely fast degeneration of wiring and or, motor condition in fresh water?"

"Fresh would extend it a bit b

"Fresh would extend it a bit but the motor would have to been pickled immediatly after raising and draining.Untill the battery went dead all the wiring was "hot" .the copper turns black and the ends corrode.Kept submerged keeping the air out slows the process. as soon as air gets in , rusting starts.
pull the plugs and see if it will turn over.
clean the carb
drain and refill the crankcase,new oil filter, 4 qt oil, 2 qt diesel
run off a remote tank,

let us know what happens."

"Bt_Doctur,

What is the pur

"Bt_Doctur,

What is the purpose of the mix of diesel in the oil? Is it to scrub down the crank case, penetrate rings and bearings, remove water?? How long is it safe to run this mix while working on the engine?"

"Yes to all those,10-15 minute

"Yes to all those,10-15 minutes at idle.it really thins the oil to make removing it a lot easier when it`s been mixed into a milkshake.
The other thing I`ve done is after a motors gone down ,it`s drained and relilled,pull the dist and install a oil pump drive to move the new oil thru the bearings to displace any water trapped there while turning the crank by hand a few times"

Back