Logo

Rebuilding alpha 1 lower unit

divemaster

"Stupid mistake by my brother

"Stupid mistake by my brother in law & me. Ran his Alpha one without any oil & now it seems to be locked-up. I think it's in the lower unit, because the engine runs OK in neutral, but won't shift into forward or reverse.

In reading the manual, it looks like a rebuild is a big job. Are we better off just getting a replacement lower unit? Any help is greatly appreciated."

"[IMG][url=""]http://i57.photo

"
url]

you may want to check the upper first,it`s what gives up first"

"Ayuh,....

There's no d

"Ayuh,....

There's no doubt the Upper has been Damaged....

Rebuilding 1 is Extremely expensive for the Parts+ the Labor, cause the Speciality Tools required are a few grand by themselves...

A replacement aftermarket drive is now available,...
Cheap....

Google up the SEI drives...."

"We're going to pull the b

"We're going to pull the boat today, so should have a better idea what's wrong. I did check the SEI drives & they look like a good alternative. By the time we buy tools, parts & invest lots of time, probably better off just getting the replacement. Thanks!"

"Jeff;
Good call.
Rebuilding

"Jeff;
Good call.
Rebuilding a drive is not for the inexperienced, meaning no disrespect to your mechanical skills. I have only ever done a couple, and I would not bother ever again. For most of us, this kind of work is best left to those who do it all the time.

The choice is new Merc leg for 2700, of SEI for 1300. For my money I go SEI all the way.

I am just curious; how did you manage to put it in the water without refilling the drive?

Rod"

"We installed new bellows and

"We installed new bellows and a water pump this spring, but didn't have the oil at that time. Then my brother in law decided that he wasn't going to lauch right away & it has sat on the trailer all summer. Last week they decided, since they weren't using the boat, to sell it. Had an interested couple & launched to give them a test drive, forgetting that we hadn't filled the gearcase with oil. It quit right in the middle of the chanel with a ship coming in. He called & I took my boat out to tow them in. Needless to say that they didn't sell the boat!

Thanks for the good suggestions. We took apart the upper today & both gears are completely worn off, although the lower appears to be OK. An expensive mistake & one we'll never forget!"

Back