Logo

Rust ControlMaintenance

tugboatjohn

"For all of you out there with

"For all of you out there with boats, you know how detrimental rust can be. I represent Jig-a-loo and it works wonders to keep your boat's engine parts and anchor chain rust-free (it removes oxidation too!). Check out jigaloo.com for more info and read how others are using it.
- Ross, http://www.jigaloo.com"

Can anybody suggest a heavy du

Can anybody suggest a heavy duty rust removal product that really works?

I went to the URL above and they offer no rust control/removal products.

what are you trying to remove

what are you trying to remove rust from?
most of the time I use a wire brush or sandblaster.

Phosphoric acid works good on

Phosphoric acid works good on steel (iron) parts to retard rust formation. It creates a phosphoric oxide coat on the metal. It is the same process that Parkerized finish uses on gun barrels.

I used it on a compression post on a 36'Hunter sailboat that was in the bilge and made of steel (a poor design) The treatment plus Rustolem worked for the remaining six years I owned the boat.

The content of Permatex Rust r

The content of Permatex Rust remover according to the MSDS is:
phosphoric acid #7664-38-2 20-30%
isopropanol #67-63-0 1-10%
silica amorphous #7631-86-9 0.1-1.0%
water #7732-18-5 60-70%

So basically it is using Phosphoric acid to remove the rust the same as I recommended above.

"Robert E. Hunter:

That is

"Robert E. Hunter:

That is great, we not only know now thanks to you whats in it, but it will work."

"Hydrochloric [pool] acid work

"Hydrochloric [pool] acid works wonders to remove rust, can be diluted depending on the application and surroundings.

***JUST AVOID ALL CONTACT WITH ALUMINIUM***

It's a good idea to do a small spot check first before diving right in.

O ja, don't forget gloves and eye protection, well ventilated area is essential.}"

"How do these acids effect the

"How do these acids effect the gaskets they come into contact with? (thermostat housing gaskets, water pump gaskets and head gaskets. Thanx, Bob"

"Hi Bob,

My guess would be

"Hi Bob,

My guess would be that most gaskets would resist the onslaught of acid / alkali's. Assuming you're talking of rubber types. Paper or brush-on types could be a different matter altogether...

I'd suggest to avoid these areas with most / strong acid / alkaline solutions. More so if undiluted. If it does come into contact with unwanted areas, rinse immediately. Good to have a garden hose at hand and people away from close proximity if solutions are strong.

Also keep in mind that many off-the-shelf cleaners are caustic-based and contain a degree of these products for efficacy.

Keep the wife, good friend or witness nearby to call EMS or bring brandy when job is done!"

"OK. So since I made the origi

"OK. So since I made the original post, I've tried 3 products, and the winner is....Rust-B-Gone!! Non- toxic, non-acidic, non-alkaline, non-hazardous.

Organic, and drain safe, and it works really well.

Thanks for the input, guys."

Back