Logo

Hard starting cold

lpc1737

I have a 1986 4.3 omc 180 hp t

I have a 1986 4.3 omc 180 hp that is hard starting when it sets for a week or more. The choke is closed but its like there is no fuel until it cranks for over a min. Runs great then will start on just 2 cranks. I installed a new fuel pump thought the fuel was leaking back into the tank. I thought there is a valve on the tank to stop the leak down. Could that be the problem.

"The only way fuel can leak fr

"The only way fuel can leak from the bowl is either down the throat into the motor, or, more likely, external through a corroded bowl or plug. A slow gas leak will evaporate as fast as it leaks, so you don't see any puddle. The quadrajet 4 barrels were famous for the 2 little lead plugs under the bowl leaking, but not sure if the 2 BBL carb has the same plugs. The 4 bbl could be repaired with JB weld without disassembly."

Have you owned the boat for a

Have you owned the boat for a long time and are you acustomed to carbureted engines? The reason I ask is many times younger guys that were raised on fuel injected engines don't know that when cranking carbed engines cold you must pump the throttle 2-3 times before starting to squirt some fuel in and set the choke.

Back