Logo

Out drive question

B

Bret Smith

What kind of oil does a Mercru

What kind of oil does a Mercruiser outdrive take and how much?

What year and what drive?
All

What year and what drive?
All Merc drives are now specced to use Merc's High Performance gear lube. Its kind of a dark greenish color. Older drives can use it too.

An Alpha Gen II will take just shy of 2 quarts.

Rod

A 1984 century. Not sure the d

A 1984 century. Not sure the drive this whole boating thing is kinda new to me. We took it to a mechanic and they put in 70/90 Chevron synthetic gear oil. Does that sound right?

"Depending on what engine you

"Depending on what engine you have, it is likely an Alpha One (not Gen II). The Alpha Ones were built from 1983 thru 1990, and they are actually an update of the much older Model 1, R, and MR drives. Good old workhorse. The Gen II came along in 1991, and is still in production with only a few minor changes. It is used on all Merc models up to 300 hp.

I have not ever used Chevron synthetic gear oil, but it sounds like good stuff. Has your dealer used this a lot on other customer's Merc drives?

Many folks don't like paying the Merc price for their oil, filters, plugs, whatever. I figure this stuff is pretty inexpensive in the overall cost of owning and operating a boat (especially the gas end!), so what the heck? I usually just stick with Merc stuff, and most of the people I boat with do the same.

Rod"

"Mercury specifies mercury HIG

"Mercury specifies mercury HIGH performance gear lube wich is synthetic. The alpha 1, r I mr all take 36 ounces. I am not sure (dont remember) about the gen II I believe it is the same.

Either way you need to buy 2 quarts to do the job."

Back