Logo

43 LX Gen flywheel

us261613

"For the 2nd time in two years

"For the 2nd time in two years, I've had my engine diesel after turning off the ignition. Twice it ended up pulling water back in through the exhaust into the cylinder heads.

In attempting to start the hydro-locked engine, I damaged the teeth on the flywheel last year. This was a $650 part. Trying to be more careful this 2nd time, I may have been damaged again?

I read on another forum that the ring gear of the flywheel on a 5.0 liter can be replaced at Napa for only about $100. Is this true for a 4.3 liter also?
Thanks"

I'd be shocked if an auto

I'd be shocked if an auto parts store couldn't match it. probably the same as any Astro van

"heat the old, knock it off, h

"heat the old, knock it off, heat the new, tap in on.
But back to your problem:
mis-adjusted timing
too "hot" of a plug
lean fuel condition
carbon hot spots
hi engine temp"

"Anyone know of a good and rea

"Anyone know of a good and reasonable Mercruiser sterndrive mechanic in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area.

I've gone to 2 area dealers in the past but have not been real pleased with the results.

2nd time in 1 year having to have engine pulled to replace starter/flywheel damaged due to hydro-lock - water in pistons.

2 area dealers could not dianose source of water getting in even after describing dieseling problem. Just recently found Merc Service bulletin on forum identifying dieseling as means of reverse engine drawing in water through exhaust.

Will correct dieseling to avoid problem again.

Thanks,
Mark

THanks"

"Check the condition of the ex

"Check the condition of the exhaust shutters; they may be worn out. Use Merc.'s decarbonizing spray to clean the top of the pistons and valve stems. Cheap gas builds up carbon fast.

The last independent fuel/carbon deposit test I read about 15 years ago listed Clark, Citgo, BP as fuels that left higher carbon deposits than Shell, Chevron, Marathon and Sunoco."

"Mark;
Check your idle speed.

"Mark;
Check your idle speed. Should be 650 rpm in gear. If higher, this tends to promote run on.
Another possibility is idle mixture too rich.
This is a carb engine, right?

Rod"

Back