Logo

Help please i canbt think of any thing else

J

Joe Bowen

"Recently I bought a 1983 40hp

"Recently I bought a 1983 40hp 3cyl motor. She starts like a champ but when I throw it in gear and try to accelerate it does nothing or dies out. I have eliminated the timing advance, the carbuerators are freshly taken off and cleaned and she seems to have fine compression any help would be greatly appreciated."

"Hallo, I have recently had th

"Hallo, I have recently had the same probs. Could barely take down my Yamaha 115hp, -96 to lowest idle and finally died when kicking in the gear. The probs started in april and then took it to repair shop. Guy there said it was spark plugs and a dried fuel line. Got the same symptom some week ago. Repairman frustrated when I told him he hadn't fixed the problem. Ordered a Pro Manual CD from eBay. Adjusted the low left carburetor screw. It was particulary sensitive and the spring seemed to be fully extended when i found the optimal position (the engine not stopping !!). I put a spacerbetween the screw head and the spring and it seems it sits stable there. have to go through the carburetors after the season.

I have now adjusted up the idle a little and runs smooth.

This motor has some quirks.

1. The guy i bought it from said there was just a manual choke but i didcovered a magneto coil pulling it. just don't know which wire to attach it to some switch near to driving place. The maneuver box doesn't seem to have a choke knob !!!

2. It has no remote oiltank but just a plastic bottle with a primer ball equiped oiltube.

Can you manufacture such a tank yourself with sensor and pump??? An other option is to place the tank at the level of the internal oiltank and connect it by means of a siphon. Is it possible??

3. The boat was delivered with a LCD-gauge showing speed, trip, time. Two petrol-pump symbols, one temperature symbol and a bettery symbol. Also a PTT-level gauge.

On the back it has a blue and black pair of wires and a centre placed 8 pole wire divisioned into a white, white/blue and black bundling. Also a pink, yellow and black bundling with an additional grey cable.

There is also a ~4mm black plastic tube with a 1mm hole protruding from the back. Should there be attached some pressure log/speed tube???

there is one isolated yellow wire sticking out from the main electric in/out bundle. Also a black/red, black, blue and grey? attached to a square contact, sitting loose. One three wire "trailer switch" contact. (What is trailer switch???)

Apart from the main bundel there is also a green, yellow, red/yellow, red/green square contact connected to a black, grey, orange, pink square connector.

Does this all make any sense. Thankful for any input!!

Regards!"

Back