Logo

P150TLRW high speed surge

M

MW

"Engine idols great and runs g

"Engine idols great and runs great until the ugly gremlin raises its head. Here's what happens: Everything works as it should initially but after 5 or 10 minutes at WOT (5600 RPM) the engine will surge a couple times and back down to 4800 to 5100 RPM's. Compression check done (116 lowest & 127 highest). Have changed bulb, spark plugs, fuel filter assemblys (two), replaced gas in tank, checked spark, checked all fuel line connections, and had carbs rebuilt. Any ideas? I don't suppose the thermostats or thermosensor could be my problem, could it? Running out of ideas. I haven't had the opportunity to run it on a separate tank yet. That will probably be my next step. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Oh, forgot to mention. After having the carbs cleaned and rebuilt it did exhibit some different symptoms at first but eventually it ended up doing the same thing. After the carb rebuild it actually pulled through a couple of the surges and regained proper RPM for a few minutes before the loss of RPM. Before carb rebuild it would immediately back down after the surging."

Thermostats checked out. Both

Thermostats checked out. Both opened at around 160 degrees.

Is my problem unique? Any sugg

Is my problem unique? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Both fuel pumps (assembly&

Both fuel pumps (assembly) were replaced with new ones. Should I pressure check both new pumps?

Back