Logo

1976 OMC Sterndrive Questions

mackinthebox

"I just recently got a 1976 AM

"I just recently got a 1976 AMF Slickcraft with a 190HP OMC sterndrive

It lookes like the engine is going to need a rebuild, there is water in the oil and its been sitting for I dont know how long...

Ive got a few questions
I have found a Ford 302 engine from a car that seems to be in good condition, as long as I use all the bolt on parts from the engine in the boat would there be any problem with the engine I should be aware of?

also the tilt on the outdrive doesnt appear to be working, is this an electric tilt? the cover that goes over what I assume is the motor for the tilt is cracked and is leaking oil?

thanks in advance!!

Mack"

"if similar year, you can chan

"if similar year, you can change the car 302's core plugs from tin to brass, and swap everything off the marine engine to it- for best power, you should put a marine cam in the car 302 - if the block was left to freeze crack, the exhaust manifolds probably were too so plan for heartbreak there.
There has to be 50 informative threads on this board about the stringer tilt system. search function will have you reading for a while.."

"ok cool, will search for that

"ok cool, will search for that
I did not know what kind of tilt system it has, all the labels are worn out and faded to the point I cant really read anything

thanks for the info on the motor
We are going to pull the original motor first and break it down to see what all it needs
hopefully its not too horrible, I have a friend that can rebuild the 302 motor with his eyes closed though, so i think I should be ok."

Back