Logo

1994 30 omc water hose keeps blowing

B

bob thurber

replaced flap valve that had m

replaced flap valve that had melted.remove old flap that was in 2 pieces.installed new impeller.
riser looks o.k.motor ran fine for 2 days then the 2" hose blew again .this is the third time.what else could be causing this pressure to build and why is it so sporadic.

"Which hose are you blowing, t

"Which hose are you blowing, the one from the water pump to the t-stat housing?

Are you replacing it with a good quality hose or just some generic hose?

Does it always blow in the same spot, does it blow off or actually blow a hole in it?"

"its the only 2" hose from

"its the only 2" hose from motor to t-stat.its 360 degrees.it blows a hole in it .appears to be same spot,hoses are brand new.i'm not a mechanic but no-one can seem to pin point problem so far.appreciate any help."

When you put the engine cover

When you put the engine cover back on could there be something rubbing on it?

Frank

"Besides Franks idea about the

"Besides Franks idea about the cover, what about any of the belts or pulleys, any chance of them touching? Really hard to believe that you can build up that much pressure without other symptoms (like engine running really poorly) and that it will blow in the same spot."

"hydraulics 101:
"pressu

"hydraulics 101:
"pressure is caused by restriction to flow"

but as suggested above, I suspect it might be rubbing - I don't think the rubber impeller pump could make the pressure required to rupture a hose. If it's the nylon reinforced heater hose, it can probably hold 150 psi and impeller pump could only build 100 or so at most I suspect if for some reason all water exits were blocked off."

"Check Your flap again, and al

"Check Your flap again, and all the way through the drive (split if needed). The only pressure that might be high enough to blow the hose is exhaust back pressure.
Did You use original hose?"

Back