Logo

Question for Rod Stewart

87concord

Regular Contributor
"Rod,

Was wondring when y

"Rod,

Was wondring when you did you repower if you changed outdrives and how big of a dent it put in your check book(if you dont mind me asking)"

"David;
I kept the original A

"David;
I kept the original Alpha Gen II, but I changed out the upper 1.81 unit to a good used 1.47 that I bought on ebay. Used my original lower gear unit with new impeller pump etc. So far its running fine.

I then sold my 1.81 upper on ebay and about broke even on that end. I have since built up a complete spare drive leg using a new Merc 1.47 upper and a new SEI lower.

I traded in my old 4.3 against some labor at the local shop on what they did for me.
After all was said and done I figure it cost me about 15 thou. Doesn't hurt too bad if you say it quickly.

So far after two seasons I am down to about $300 an hour, not counting gas. Makes no economic sense, but what the heck?

Rod"

"nothing about boats is econom

"nothing about boats is economical. lol, but that figure is still way less than the expense of a new boat. more than half of the price of a new concord, the one i want is almost 40k with a trailer"

"Rod
I got a deal on my engin

"Rod
I got a deal on my engine, I payed $5500 for my engine, sold my old 305 for $2000, spent $400 rebuilding my OD and new shift cable and about $600 in unexpecteds. That's about $5000 and two months of headache, not too bad I guess."

"David;
I hear you.
I had be

"David;
I hear you.
I had been thinking about trading it in on a Tige or a Malibu or something similar.

Then I got to thinking, its a 1996 boat, perfect shape, does everything I need it to do, looks good, good day cruiser, bowrider hull, hauls a good number of bodies, pulls skiiers, wakeboarders, etc.; so why not just repower it and go?
So that is what I did, and I am quite happy for how it turned out.

Rod"

"Jeff;
You did very well inde

"Jeff;
You did very well indeed.
5500 for a 6.2 MPI is a steal.

The way I figure it is any small block Chevy V-8 engine is going to weigh the same, so why muck around with a 305 that may make 230 hp?
Why not stick in at least a 350, or better yet the 383, and get as much power out of the weight as possible?

Oh sure, you can get a "built" high compression 350 with big valves, a lumpy cam, and a few other goodies that will put out 400 hp or so. But I am more interested in good basic reliability, something that will run well on crappy marina 87 octane gas, and start easily without fuss.

So for my money I figure the 383 is just about the best bang for the buck, and MPI is great compared to a carb engine. No chokes to dick around with; just turn the key and she is running!
You just gotta like that!

Rod"

"Jeff;
Bare engine was 12 tho

"Jeff;
Bare engine was 12 thou with taxes in. That's Merc's dealer list price in western Canada.
I looked at buying one that a shop in Houston had in stock. It was about 8500, but by the time I had it shipped, payed the exchange and GST, it was going to cost close to the same. And the worst part is that it was a US serial number package, which meant that the Merc warrantee would not have been recognized in Canada.

Another factor was I needed help from my local boat shop for various things during the swap, and I was able to get that done easily and without question because I bought the engine package thru them. So yes, I paid a lot, but it went pretty smoothly in the end.

Rod"

Back