Logo

How to upgrade prop for 383 Stroker on OMC 800

mklein

I bought an 85' Galaxy Day

I bought an 85' Galaxy Day Cruiser with Chevy 350 and promptly blew engine.

Now I have a 383 stroker with supposedly 350hp (from 260hp) and need to upgrade the prop from current (14 1/L x 19).

What does 14 1/L mean? It's definitely an L I see on prop.

Is 21 pitch enough or do you think I should try 23?

Is there anything OMC specific I need to worry about for new propeller? Like exhausting or anything?

I plan on buying some used props/aluminum/etc. until I get it dialed in and then will purchase a stainless prop.

Thanks in advance...

mike

"I think it's supposed to

"I think it's supposed to say 14 1/4 X19.

14.25" is the standard dia for a prop on an 800.

I bought a 20 SS Raker for $67 off eBay - seems to be deals there. Pitch isn't the same for all prop makes so trial and error is the only way. I run a 23P aluminum and the 20P Stainless Raker and they give about the same WOT rpm.

So you can dial it in all you want, but an SS prop you buy may or may not give the same rpms as the alum., but if you stick with stock OMC props should be close.

I recommend going to the parts book at brp site - the breakdown for the lower unit shows all the factory prop options- take the numbers you want and dump em into evilBay.

I hope your 800 lives behind that engine...better grease your w/p shaft splines EVERY season...if the grease gets washed out you'll twist them for sure. "

"To my experience running abov

"To my experience running above 19" pitch and alu is a waste of money and loss of performance.
For max 'hole shot' You want as low pitch as possible.
For max economy You want as low 'slip' as possible.
For max performance You want as high pitch as possible, combined with minimum slip.
For max lifetime of the drive line You want the torque reduced.
Going above 19" pitch and alu the blade flexing tends to get too big and You loose out everywhere.
My rough guess would be a 21" SST or 20" Raker (block the exhaust holes) if You need bow-lift.
However note that there might be a significant difference between prop manufacturers and pitch. The above goes for the OMC/BRP props."

Sorry to be dense Hy Stat...bu

Sorry to be dense Hy Stat...but how do I get to the "parts book at brp site"? What is w/p shaft splines....the shaft prop slides on to?

And I work for eBay so watch it!

Morten...my whole reason for going with 383 stroker was to get another 10mph or so. My orig. Chevy 350 did 48-49mph and I spent another $1.5K or so to get the stroker...you saying 60mph isn't possible? I'll be really bummed out if so.

I'm trying to learn as much as possible about engine (did timing and vacuum adjustments today!! my first time)...but now I realize there's another beast called the sterndrive that I need to learn about.

If I had to rebuild my sterndrive...are parts even available? Is it really that hard? Could I possibly put in extra strength parts to increase max rpm allowed?

thanks again for help all...

"To BRP site:
[url=""]http://

"To BRP site:
http://epc.brp.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx%3fbrands%3dej%26lang%3dE &brands=ej&lang=E

What increase You get, I do not know. It is a lot more to it than just increase HP.
Unless Your 800 has the trim unit, I guess some adjustment works have to be done to the engine mounts as well.
Increasing RPM might not be a problem, within limits, problem might be torque increase on the shafts.
A decent through-transom exhaust system might even be be needed to get the full effect, and it will reduce heat build-up in the drive unit."

I found following but is it co

I found following but is it compatible?

OMC Stainless Steel propeller. size 141/2 X 22. 15 Spline. Michigan Propeller SSO-922-C.

I have 15spline I believe? but am wondering about thru-hub exhaust issue.

Any other new parts I need to replace my prop? How difficult or easy is this to do?

thanks...

Back