Logo

87 omc cobra amoking

taz1127

hi i need some help please i n

hi i need some help please i noticed today when i was idling smoke started coming out of the top of the sterndrive anyone have any thoughts on that

out of where?
where there&#39

out of where?
where there's smoke there's fire...and nothing should be getting even remotely close to that temp in a sterndrive- you must have a bearing that has failed and maybe worse in there. If it's smoking it's rebuild time.

"we have an 87 OMC Cobra and i

"we have an 87 OMC Cobra and it over heats as soon as it hits the water. The over heating causes alot of light colored smoke to come from the right side of the engine. We have changed every part in the world and still cannot figure out why the engine is overheating...anyone have any suggestions? There is just not any water getting to the engine. We have changed out the impeller twice this summer, had some head work, new starter, new hoses...still over heats..."

"John:
It might be exhaust bu

"John:
It might be exhaust bubbling up from the exhaust relief under the bracket?
Melissa:
Gave You an 'answer' in Your other post, let us leave this for John."

"transom is made of wood and f

"transom is made of wood and fiberglass, so if smoke from there... again - the boat is on fire. If smoke is coming from under the water, then that's normal - that's how the exhaust exits a boat in lieu of a muffler. If you feel the smoke is abnormal, a desription of smoke colour and smell helps as it could be 3 types of smoke:
burning oil, rich in fuel or water in combustion chambers (steam in that case, actually)"

Back