Logo

OUT DRIVE PROBLEMS AT THE END OF MY ROPE

N

nick williamson

"hey all, guess what more issu

"hey all, guess what more issues. took my 86 four winns 4.3 cobra out to the lake and noticed it grinding gears a little after being in gear and putting arround a little. then i heard a big noise come from the out drive. after that it was pretting much down hill. it will not even shift into gear. any ideas? i am a big mr. fix-it but i do have a solec manual. is this something a novice could tackle or should i leave this one to the professional. thanks, for the help, you all are great."

I would pull the oil drain scr

I would pull the oil drain screw out and see if there are metal filings (or chunks) on the magnet first. If so then take the very top cover off the drive (be careful not to damage the big o ring that seals it) and inspect the upper gears for damage. Do you know if the oil was at the correct level?

i checked the oil before i too

i checked the oil before i took it out. is was ok. i will pull off the top cover tomorrow and take a look and check for metal on the drain screw. if the upper gears are damaged is that going to get expensive. thanks for your help

"Depends on the damage, if the

"Depends on the damage, if the gears are damaged and there has been metal migration throughout the drive, it will have to be stripped down and rebuilt which also requires special tools. You might be ok or look for a rebuilt or good used one but lets not get too far until you have a look."

Back