Logo

37L470 milky oil

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
"OK so I bought this 1985 Gala

"OK so I bought this 1985 Galaxy Cuddy for $100 bucks cause the engine wouldn't start.. When I went to look at the boat It had 2 brand new batteries and a brand new SS prop on it so I figured why not its only a $100 so when I got it home I sprayed a lil gas in the carb and it fired right up... no smoke or anything. WOW, ok so I rebuilt the carb and hooked up a portable fuel tank to it and it perred like a kitten... So while it was running I checked to see if there was enough water comming out of it and the water pump seemed to be working great. after running for a 2 min. i shut it down due to no temp rise on the guage. I did a test on the guage and sender and the sender is shot. It will be replaced but I found one more problem....Milky oil and when I first started it up the oil was clean. My question is whats the probability that it the seals in the circulation pump and not a head gasket.. what are ya'll suggestion as to where to start testing... I plan on doing a compression test but that wont tell me if the two seal that are on the cam shaft are good or bad. I changed them on my last boat with the same motor but I didn't have to pull the motor to get to it. on the new(to me) boat i will have to pull the motor to get access to remove everything to get to it. So I would rather test it first..

218032.jpg
"

"Pressure test the cooling sys

"Pressure test the cooling system w/a radiator tester from an autoparts store. Put 15-16 PSI on it to see if it holds. Listen in the oil fill cap for bubbling or hissing noise; cracked block, head gasket or manifold. Spray a dishsoap/water solution around the circ. pump area and manifold areas and look for bubbles for exterior leak."

"ok I will look at the weep ho

"ok I will look at the weep hole also in the circulation pump...any idea of the price of the rad tester?? and what does it look like, maybe a cap or something of that sort"

"It's a cap, hose, gauge a

"It's a cap, hose, gauge and hand pump all in one. You can borrow one from most autoparts chain stores."

"awesome guy thank you very mu

"awesome guy thank you very much... I hope that maybe its just condensation that was sitting in the bottom of the oil pan but not likely...I'll keep my fingers crossed
I was also wondering since it ran so well, shouldn't thank be a good sign?? It didn't stumble or anything and I didn't notice any steam comming from the exhaust but would that be cooled back down before comming out due to the water in the exhaust????"

"Hey John,

Please keep thi

"Hey John,

Please keep this post updated because I have the exact same thing wrong with mine. I acquired a 1986 wellcraft 192 american with the same motor. I Fixed everything I thought it needed i.e. lower water pump, gimbal bearing, etc. and then took it out this last weekend. While I was out in the water, it began to run rough and would not come off idle after putting it in gear. I just happened to check oil and it was milky. we turned the idle up just enough to get home and once off of idle, it ran great, didn't overheat, great oil pressure, acted like nothing was wrong, so I am very interested to see what you find. I am going to start to look at the problem this week hopefully, but would really like to stay away from a full rebuild."

you might be running with a ho

you might be running with a hole in the riser allowing water to foul #4 plug.
Pull the riser and look. Price of a gasket is cheap insurance.

"Derek you too keep up with wh

"Derek you too keep up with what your doing on here and maybe we can learn from each other... awesome just what this forum is for
"

"I am looking at changing out

"I am looking at changing out the cam seals and they should be easy to get to on my boat so I will probably go for those first. I am going to have to change the valve cover gasket because it is leaking. I will probably do this next week, or at least get it torn apart the end of this week to try and find something."

Derek:

Start a separate thr

Derek:

Start a separate thread for the most responses. Include the engine description.

Back