Logo

Need to make a lowes trip what kinda wood is this pics

weider1717

Contributing Member
"The large piece is obviously

"The large piece is obviously my lid to the middle of the floor I need to repalce it and going ahead and replacing a couple braces they're not bad but while i'm starting my early winter project WHY NOT!

theres 3 pieces shown, the middle lift out board, a 2x4 or so brace and a little brace. The lift out board and the little brace seem to have a shinny finish with something on it I guess wood sealer? but what kinda wood are these 2 pieces so I know what to buy.

thanks

url]

url]

url]
"

"Sam:

The deck boards are p

"Sam:

The deck boards are plywood. Don't know where you are but the Lowe's around here don't stock Marine plywood. You can use Exterior (not the Exposure-1 stuff) but it won't last as long.

The shiny stuff looks like it may be sound absorber. Shiny, foil like surface, with a foam backing and a lead substitute layer in there. If it is only on the one piece, I wouldn't spend the money replacing it.

good luck"

"The peice w/blue edge looks l

"The peice w/blue edge looks like exterior plywood, 1 side sanded.

One peice in the cabin door w/stripes looks the same. The other tan/brown peice, not sure, don't see graining; if it's real heavy it may be particle board which should not be on a boat since it is nothing but sawdust and glue even if it is sealed.

It might be sealed w/marine varnish, fiberglass polyseal or epoxy. I would buy a quart of CPES and treat the wood after it is cut and fitted; will never swell or rot.

http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html"

thanks guys!

I didn't e

thanks guys!

I didn't even think about it having to be marine I mean I knew it did just didn't hit me until now..

best places to get marine plywood would be where? does like west marine stock some cuts of it?

Sam:

Marine "GRADE"

Sam:

Marine "GRADE" plywood is not waterproof. The "ONLY" difference between it and grade 1 "exterior" plywood is marine plywood has "0" knots in the laminated layers which makes it so expensive. Get the exterior grade 1 and treat it w/CPES and it will never rot! I sent info. to you. BTDT!

thanks once again guy and look

thanks once again guy and looks like what I pulled outta my boat (the big piece covered in carpet)has knots in it anyway so it looks to be grade 1 exterior plywood anyway..u agree?

Thanks !! Great link to the C

Thanks !! Great link to the CPES. I have a project coming up on my boat soon (new engine box) and this looks like just the thing for the inside.

"Hey, Sam. I used a piece of r

"Hey, Sam. I used a piece of regular pressure treated plywood to reinforce my casting deck on a fish and ski boat in april and I can feel it bulging for some reason under the brand new carpet, probably a knot. I'm going to have to redo it and other pieces. Do yourself a favor and use the CPES!"

""pressure treated plywood

""pressure treated plywood to reinforce my casting deck...and I can feel it bulging for some reason under the brand new carpet,"

PT lumber is like a sponge around water; use exterior plyw. and treat it w/CPES by saturating the end grains and cut edges w/as much as it will take.

If you put a seat base in the floor you should put another layer of pylw. under it along w/a 12"x12" plate of steel or heavy aluminum.

I used 1/4" SS plates that I drilled and tapped for 1/4" machine screws matching the seat base hole pattern. I also epoxied the plates to the underside of the floor and used never sieze on the threads of SS screws."

Back