Logo

Alpha one problems

producepusher

"With shifter in gear, either

"With shifter in gear, either forward or reverse, the drive does not seem to engage. I checked all shift cables and have pulled the outdrive for inspection and have yet to find the problem. When manually turning the prop shaft all gears appear to be in working order, but when mounted to the motor there is no drive. Any suggestions?"

did someone forget the SS wash

did someone forget the SS washer that goes on the splined shift shaft in the lower unit?
do the shift shoes mate up?

This is a 1986 alpha one drive

This is a 1986 alpha one drive. Everything mates up properly on the outdrive. Only when it is mounted to the boat it does not work. Could this be the engine coupler? What other things should I be checking first? Thanks for your response.

"[IMG][url=""]http://i57.photo

"
url]
"

"Thanks for the pic., my conne

"Thanks for the pic., my connection is correct. This is not the problem. I can get outdrive into gear forward and reverse with the shifter. I just do not seem to be transfering power from the engine to the drive. Would I still have resistance at the prop if the clutch or dog gears were worn? Or could this be a engine coupler problem?
Thanks again for your help so far Bt Doctur"

"If it is the coupler you shou

"If it is the coupler you should have heard it pop while underway. Basically it feels like you go into neutral because the splins shear off on the coupler. There would be filings on your shaft as well.

Good luck,

Steve"

"try shifting into fwd making

"try shifting into fwd making sure the prop locks counterclockwise.
have someone watch the shaft where it goes into the motor, using your foot, turn the prop counterclockwise.
shaft moves=coupler shot
shaft dosent move but prop turns= drive damage"

"I just did the test that you

"I just did the test that you suggested. The good news the shaft does not move, the prop does not move. Every indication is that things are fine but when the motor is running I still have no drive."

"pull the drive off -Shift it

"pull the drive off -Shift it into gear by hand and turn the driveshaft clockwise- see if prop turns. If prop doesn't turn, something is broken inside your outdrive. If prop does turn,
look in the hole with a flashlight and see what the coupler looks like- if it looks good, start the engine for a couple of seconds - look to see what's turning in there and what's not... . "

"If there is cooling water flo

"If there is cooling water flowing with the engine running, the coupler and upper housing are functioning. If not, does as BT said - check the shaft - behind the coupler.

Has it overheated recently?

In all the drives I've overhauled, only one drive shaft broke at the pinion gear, in the lower unit. Never seen the clutch dogs break, wear a bit, but never break."

"Makomark

I think there is

"Makomark

I think there is a missunderstanding.

With NO key in ingition!!!!!!!

With the outdrive on the boat, put shift handle to forward position.
Turn prop ina counterclockwise direction.
Do you have positive engagemnet?
If you do can you spin the prop with some extra effort?

If it spins than your hub has spun.

If no repeat in the reverse direction and see if you can spin the prop when in reverse.
If you can the hub has spun.

If NO to the prior tests.

Put muffs on boat or if in water start engine.

Open engine bay cover and get a flash light and look down at the drive shaft that mates up with the coupler.
Do you see the outdrive output shaft spinning?

If so then all looks good at this point.

Put boat in gear and recheck.
Is the drive shaft still spinning?
If yes is it spinning as fast as the coupler?

If no to either of the last 2 questions than the coupler is bad.
Also make sure your prop hub has not spun. If you can swap your prop with a known good do that first before doing any other tests.

Some times a bad engine coupler will drive the shaft except when under load.

One more question. With the engine running and you shift into gear does it clunk like normal?

If you hear no clunk then the prop shaft is not spinning."

"The prop is fine, not even on

"The prop is fine, not even on the boat at this point. There is the proper resistance, when in gear, at the prop shaft. The drive shaft is spinning at he motor when the boat is in neutral, With the boat in gear I still see the drive shaft spinning, it also seems to spin faster at higher RPM. Though I did not hear the usual clunk that you have mentioned. Could this be a coupler problem. I really would like to diagnose this and do the work myself. Thanks for your help."

"Out of water and with no prop

"Out of water and with no prop installed, you might not hear/feel the "clunk" -- no load on the output end.
Also you may not be able to detect by hand whether the prop hub is bad. The load of boat against the water may allow prop hub to slip, but still feel tight to hand applied torque. Swap out a known good prop for a test run to be certain you can rule this out."

AS SAID...put the prop on the

AS SAID...put the prop on the drive.

redo tests. How can you spin the prop to test the condition of the prop hub or the coupler (ENGINE NOT RUNNING AND NO KEY IN IGNITION)

you need to basically try to turn the engine over by hand while turning the proppeller to do this test! If the coupler is shot this should show doing this. If the prop has a rubber hub and it is bad it may also show this.

RETEST WITH PROP ON OUTDRIVE.

Back