Logo

Oil leak on 57

charliey

have oil leak on 1998 5.7 leak

have oil leak on 1998 5.7 leaks all the time running or not onlt 144 hours on motor as daul dipsticks took some pictures under motor and looked like it is coming from banjo bolt cannot find oil any where else is this possible and how to go about fixing without pulling motor

What is a banjo bolt? Post th

What is a banjo bolt? Post the pics. Are you sure you don'y have a rust hole in the pan?

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
217985.jpg
oil leak 1"">
217986.jpg
oil leak 2""> the banjo bolt goes into the bottom of the oil pan that allows flow to rihgt or left dipstick tube"

"Are you sure it is not a drai

"Are you sure it is not a drain fitting? I thought the dip stick came out of the block?

Guy,
a banjo bolt/fiiting is what is on brake lines as used where flex/rubber brake line on a front auto/truck attaches to the rotor. It uses to copper crush washers and the bolt that goes thru it has a hole thru the center and the hole comes out at 90 degrees thru the "banjo" end."

When I blow up the pics. it ap

When I blow up the pics. it appears that both banjo fittings are leaking as evidenced by the oil drip pattern. I would use some brake clean on both and then try to tighten them. Use a 90 deg. wrench if needed. Wedge one wrench against the hull and tighten w/the other.

"my main problem is getting to

"my main problem is getting to this with out pulling the engine, there is no room for me to get my hand to that point. the boat is a shamrock and is a shaft drive I though about removing the rear mount bolts and disconnecting the shaft and laying a 4x4 across the sides and left the rear up to get to with a winch I'm just not sure this will work putting that weight on the boat sides what do do think"

Back