Logo

Do boats gain weight with age

87concord

Regular Contributor
I guess the question is not if

I guess the question is not if but how much. I know they do get water logged some what but what does hold water and how can you get rid of it to lighten the boat up again

"[b]"but what does hold wa

""but what does hold water and how can you get rid of it to lighten the boat up again"

Ayuh,....

It's usually the waterproof closed cell Foam that sucks up the water,+ it's inherent Weight..."

so in order to figure out what

so in order to figure out what is soaked the floor needs to be removed and check the stringers and everything else in the hull of the boat?

"Just about, we started with a

"Just about, we started with a transom replacement and ended up all the way to the cabin door.What we found was the factory builds the flooring in such a way that they drill holes thru the floor into the void and inject the foam. they neglect to fill or glass over the hole,once carpeted the you never see the foam hole and thats where water gets in over time."

"just what you see from the ou

"just what you see from the outside, i think mercruisers are like 2 -1/4 in thick.they use wood to get this thickness.when you drill any type of hole incorrectly thru the transom you risk starting rot."

"i see what you are saying, w

"i see what you are saying, what kind of work am i looking at to take the floor up and see what is going on inside?"

I think Guy and others on this

I think Guy and others on this site have tackled this kind of thing.
There is a test procedure I once read to determine if you have water in your foam. It involves drilling a series of test holes.
To me tearing up the floor sounds like a horrendous amount of work; not something I would tackle. I would sell the boat first and buy another.

Rod

I know for sure that I have so

I know for sure that I have some soft spots in the floor under the rear seat that is need of some repair. The rest of the boat is in to good of shape to consider getting rid of the boat as I could not replace it for what I have invested. I am pretty good friends with the guys at the local boat shop and they have offered to let me use a bay at their shop this winter when they are closed to do some of the work so I beleive I am at least going to redeck the floor. As far as the rest goes I guess I will see just how bad it is once I get in there. I will repost at later date once the project is underway.

David:

Did you get a chance

David:

Did you get a chance to look at the Rot Dr. site I sent? Let me know if you are going to remove the floor this fall/winter. I'll tell you how not to cut thru the hull...LOL; BTDT! It is actually a pretty simple job removing the floor. It's what's hidden under the floor that will surprise you. I have many photos of the mess I found and the work I did if you want to see some. Let me know.

"Guy,

I did look at that si

"Guy,

I did look at that site, looks like a pretty good system. I still have another week of season left so I am at least a month away from taking on the project. I will let you know before I start. If you want to email the pics that would be great. my email is [email protected]"

Back