Logo

Both Starter Bolts Broke Off

hilliardr

"Both the long and short start

"Both the long and short starter bolts broke off on my Mercruiser 1994, 3.0, inline 4 engine. Two questions:

1. Where can I find a pair of long/short replacement bolts?
2. Does this indicate that something worse may have happened?

Plan on tapping out the remaining pieces of bolts and replacing. May be harder than I think. Looking for any tips."

"Ayuh,....

Pull the motor,&

"Ayuh,....

Pull the motor,+ flip it over....

The replacement bolts can be found at most any Quality Auto Parts Store.....
The 1s with the knurled shoulders are My 1st Choice...."

"when you get the drilling and

"when you get the drilling and such done - there should be a bracket supporting the far end of that starter so the weight isn't prying on those mounting bolts- Check that it wasn't discarded during a prior starter replacement.

While at the auto parts store, grab a set of left handed drill bits...while drilling out the broken bolts, it just might catch and wind out the remainder of the bolt... not very often but sometimes"

"before you try a easy-out, tr

"before you try a easy-out, try drilling the remaining bolt all the way thru to relieve any stress and drive a close fitting allen wrench partway into the hole. a straight fluted tool wont expand in the hole like a easy out."

"As stated above, pull the eng

"As stated above, pull the engine and flip it over. Im assuming the bolts are broken off flush in the block. Spray them with PB blaster a few times a day for a week before you mess with them. Another trick is to drill them deep and beat a torx socket in the hole to grab it.If you use an ez-out remember they snap pretty easily. Bust out the propane torch and see what happens. Grease the snot out of the new bolts."

"Ouch! It looks pretty diffic

"Ouch! It looks pretty difficult/tight to get to the holes while the engine is in, but I don't have the lift capability to pull the engine and flip it. If that's the only way to get to them, then I'll probably have to enlist the aid of a mechanic shop."

Back