Logo

3 litre Mercruiser running COLD A mystery

be080

"Hi,I've a Bayliner 3 litr

"Hi,I've a Bayliner 3 litre with Alpha 1 leg, done 150 hours. Two trips ago I noticed the water temp guage didnt move off cold. Got back and saw water circ pump had rusted out and leaking water from seals so I replaced it. Whilst doing the pump I checked water temp guage by earthing wire and got full guage movement ok. Checked coolant lines ok, eng oil ok, put it all back together and went for a two hour run. To my surprise the water temp guage still not registering any temparature. Laid hands on the engine after 30 minutes running and it wasnt even warm. All hoses failed to register any temparature, exhaust manifold was cool, engine block cool, the oil filter was just warm to the touch. Oil pressure guage reading normally at 40psi. After 2 hours of alternating between slow and WOT the hottest I could get it was about a 1/4 temp guage reading which soon fell down to zero reading again after slowing the pace. Engine block/manifolds never more than slightly warm / all hoses the same. The oil filter did appear to get up to temparature after the 2 hours though never hot. INVESTIGATION....> today took the thermostat cap off expecting it to be jammed open. Nope, the thermo was shut and although I didnt remove it I pressed it open a few times and it shut ok without sticking. Again I tested the temp guage by earthing out lead and guage registered fsd ok. Even if the thermostat did lock open whilst running would the engine run this cold. Before this happended the boat always ran at half temp on the guage and there was never a problem. The water circ pump I replaced was rusted rotten, maybe some gunge came off the pump and went through the system but how would that cause the engine now to run so cold. I'm beat. Any ideas would be appreciated....the boat is running great but running this cold is just wrong. Thanks Brian"

""Even if the thermostat d

""Even if the thermostat did lock open whilst running would the engine run this cold...I pressed it open a few times and it shut ok without sticking."

Yes, it will run cold. Thermal spring has worn out; replace the thermostat."

Back