Logo

ENGINE OIL FOR A 94b 43 V6 MERCRUISER

"Does it have to be mercruiser

"Does it have to be mercruiser? Can I used a different brand, I notice that I have to buy this from my a local boat dealer and its more expensive."

"This is my opinion,

I use

"This is my opinion,

I use MOBIL 1 in everything.

15 - 50 in the boat.
10 - 30 in the truck
20 - 50 Motorcyle mobil 1

Synthetic oils are far superior than regular oil.

As far as the cost? Your boat most likely cast thousands and you typically only change your oil once a year. What is $30.00 more for good oil."

"I use exactly what my Mercury

"I use exactly what my Mercury owner's manual says to use; merc 25w40 and a merc oil filter. In fact my manual specifically says the use of synthetic, or multi viscosity oils other than that specified are not recommended. Alot of people here use shell rotella and like it alot. I use mobil1 in everything else. I figured that my boat is now 10 years old, and the previous owner most likely used merc oil, so i just figured it smart to stay with what the engine "grew up" on. I figured it's one oil change a year, I can splurge. FWIW the oil comes out of my boat cleaner than either of my cars.

--chris

PS:If your's is like mine, it will only take 4qt(exactly) to read full, even after you've run it through the filter. I put 4.5 in mine ran it, let it sit, and it still read way full."

"Chris

How old is your boat

"Chris

How old is your boat?

HarleyDavidson Used to say that also but they have changed there specifications. They went as far as reccomending the use of there synthetic in the motor, the primary chain drive and believe it or not there Transmissions...... I would never put motor oil in a trans but they say it is OK???

I am not sure How merc or anyone else could say not to use synthetics. Maybe during break in only so the rings seat properly but that would be the only time.

Not to argue but sythentics are just better.
GM reccomends it and it is factory in corvetts.
I was instructed by a customer service rep on My 1996 gmc truck to use mobil one after my break in period.

The owners instuctions may have something to do with purchasing merc products.

I use NAPA gold oil filter exclusivley.

I did at one time actually use Mobil 1 oil filters. they are a very good product but just hard to get for every model or at many locations."

Is this the Synthetic vs. Petr

Is this the Synthetic vs. Petroleum debate starting again?

Can't wait to hear about the engine that will keep running for a hundred years on synthetic oil and the poor old engine that craps out after 30 becuase the negligent owner opted to use petroleum based oil.

"I just wanted to give him a s

"I just wanted to give him a simple answer and ended up reviving the "war of the oils" again.
rofl.gif
"

"Thanks fellows for your respo

"Thanks fellows for your responses, I'll use exactly what my Mercury owner's manual says to use; merc 25w40 and a merc oil filter. I've notice that other brands 25w40's are least expensive but I'll stick to the manual recommendations. Thanks again for your help."

You cant go wrong with that ch

You cant go wrong with that choice.

As far as the oil discussion it seems it is common over done thread on many auto/motorcycle/boat sites.......

"ghost--
As i said my boat

"ghost--
As i said my boat is 10yrs old. Merc NOW says it's ok to use synth, but when my engine was built they said it wasn't. I have learned over the years that when it comes to boats, do *exactly* what the book says. Today's 4.3's may be ok with synth, but how do i know mine is? I don't, so instead of risking anything, i take the safe route. And as i said before, i use M1 in *everything* else I own, as I break then engines in with it. I saw no point in switching my boat to m1 with it being 10 years old, and merc sayin not to in my manual. If i bought a new boat, i would immediately put synth in it, but would stay with the merc synth oil.

--chris"

"Maybe I'm oversimplifying

"Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but when a manufacturer says "not recommended", it means just that. Recommending something in this context means that you know it will work and it's tested.

"Not recommended" doesn't mean that whatever it is (in this case, oil choice) is a bad thing to do; in fact, it might be a good thing to do. It's just that the manufacturer can't *recommend* it for whatever reason; most commonly, lack of direct testing (if they tested every possible thing, their R&D costs would be too high).

That having been said, I use Mobil 1."

Mercruiser does NOT recommend

Mercruiser does NOT recommend synthetics in general. They only recommend their own brand of Quicksilver Synthetic blend oil. Which is only about 30% synthetic. It's 70% mineral based. They basically introduced an oil to make their customers run quieter. Unless it's an Arctic fishing trawler...might as well stuff the crankcase with money as far as I'm concerned. Nothing starting with a number lower than 20 would ever go in any of my boats. Straight grades rock! and if you can get away with 1 grade it's best as far as I'm concerned. Less thickeners and more of the right weight oil.

"I'm with you Hy Stat. No

"I'm with you Hy Stat. No need to use a multi-grade unless you plan on starting the engine when it's below freezing. I use my boat year round now, but 'winter' in Va Beach is a whole lot different than in Maine! And, even in Maine, the water temperature was still above freezing, I never had a problem starting the engine into mid to late November. I was always the last one at the marina to pull the boat, holding out for that last run of haddock for the season. I've always used Chevron SAE 40."

I am not dissagreeing with the

I am not dissagreeing with the use of DINO oil but there is no comparison to synthetic oils as far as superior quality.

Use what you choose and I am sure all will be fine.
Like Danial said..............I use Mobil 1 only.
Wallmart sells it cheap.....

Back