Logo

Gas tank

J

jerry dells

"i have a 1984 sunrunner 16 ft

"i have a 1984 sunrunner 16 ft fiberglass boat that i want to remove the old fuel out of the fuel tank,how do i do this procedure."

Remove the vent line from the

Remove the vent line from the tank and use a manual siphon pump to a gas tank on the ground. If you can get a long siphon hose and push it thru the bilge drain plug it will be alot easier. The siphon device doesn't have to be expensive; just don't suck the fuel w/your mouth! Insert the rigid siphon tube to the bottom of the tank. Keep a working fire extinguisher at arm's length!

why do i need a fire extinquis

why do i need a fire extinquisher handy? and is it possible to stick the siphon hose down the filler tube where you put the gas in ...thanks jerry

might be old fuel but it could

might be old fuel but it could still go
BANG.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE A SHOP-VAC EITHER.

"Jerry:

You can put it anyw

"Jerry:

You can put it anywhere you want to make it easy for you. Since you have to ask why you need a fire extinguisher at hand while fooling aroung w/gasoline, I suggest that you take a day and visit the nearest Shriner's Burn Hospital! If the shoe fits; wear it."

"duhhhhhhh of course you need

"duhhhhhhh of course you need a fire ex. I use to refule jet and you should see what happens when a sprak from static does. static electricity is caused by fuel flowing through thr line that you use and can cause a spark,,,well you know the rest. As Guy stated b4 just do it as a precaution. thats also why you don't use a shop vac....gas fumes and an electric motor.....set up for failure..
"

Where is the gas tank located?

Where is the gas tank located? front of boat center of boat or rear of boat?

If it is in the center or rear of boat lift the front of the boat as high as possible to get all gas to the back of the tank!

How big is it? how much is in it?( gallon capacity)

Go to your marine store and purchase a oil pump the type used to suck the oil out of the dipstick tube.
Go to you local hardware store and get the appropriate fittngs to reduce the female hose end on the pump to a 3/8 barbed fitting and get a long clear hose to fit the barbed fitting.

Stick the hose into the gas tank.
The best place for this is the gas seneding unit location. Remove the sender and stick the hose in there.
Pump by hand untill you drain the tank.
No electrics and minimum danger.

"i was thinking on using a 3/8

"i was thinking on using a 3/8 plastic hose with a small hole on one side to stik a nozzle for air from air compressor,and blow the air down the tube to the gas tank.the compressor will be about 60 ft away from the boat,do you think this would work ?"

"also,was wondering if it migh

"also,was wondering if it might be easier and safer to remove the gas tank itself...any help would be appreciated..thanks and have a nice day"

could somebody please answer t

could somebody please answer this last question that i posted...thanks and have a nice day.

Not if it's full of fuel..

Not if it's full of fuel...too heavy to move and dangerous. If empty then it depends on where it's located and how it's covered.

Jerry

I gave you the answer

Jerry

I gave you the answer...........Been there and done that many many times. It is safe and only requires a few $$$ for parts and some elbow grease.

Stop trying to be creative.

Gas is dangerous.

Use the old crap in your lawn mower.

Got a 1976 Mark Twain with a 1

Got a 1976 Mark Twain with a 140 hp I/O Mercruiser. Got swamped from the stern on a windy day loading the boat. Since then the boat will run fine and then occasionally not take throttle above slow no wake speed. Thinking I got water in the fuel intake and vent? Want to drain all of the fuel out. Changed fuel filter and put good gas in. Ran fine until I used 1/4 of tank then the problem started again. Is there a filter in the top of the tank also? Or should I just drain the gas? What is the safest and easiest way to drain this tank? Thanks

"Remove the vent line from the

"Remove the vent line from the tank and use a manual siphon pump to a gas tank on the ground. If you can get a long siphon hose and push it thru the bilge drain plug it will be alot easier. The siphon device doesn't have to be expensive; just don't suck the fuel w/your mouth! Insert the rigid siphon tube to the bottom of the tank. Keep a working fire extinguisher at arm's length!

John H
Advanced Member
Username: atilla_boy

Post Number: 290

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 09:30 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
duhhhhhhh of course you need a fire ex. I use to refule jet and you should see what happens when a sprak from static does. static electricity is caused by fuel flowing through thr line that you use and can cause a spark,,,well you know the rest. As Guy stated b4 just do it as a precaution. thats also why you don't use a shop vac....gas fumes and an electric motor.....set up for failure.."

Back