Logo

White gelcoat is slighty faded to a pearl best way to bring it back

weider1717

Contributing Member
"Ok first off before someone s

"Ok first off before someone shoots off compound it with a orbital buffer....I'm already a detail freak and know a great deal so unless u really know your stuff I probably will know what u try to tell me on this topic.

I used a compound from meguairs with my portal cable 7424 with a medium action cutting pad.

this didn't do much I went back after that with a polish then a wax top coat.

I picked out a spot on the top which is whats slighty faded and wet sanded with 1000 grit then with 2000 grit...this made it turn out like new! gelcoat turned back bright white. Then I hit this area with the compound, polish then wax.

my qestion is...where can I get a HEAVY duty grit compound that will yield the same results are the west sanding. That way I can use my buffer and get the same results instead of having to wetsand the entire dang boat.....that would suck!!

your normal use marine compound isn't quiet enough atleast meguairs number 50 something compound wasn't I need more than that.

thanks"

"there is a new 3M cutting com

"there is a new 3M cutting compound released in the last few months. I don't recall it's name, but i do know you can get it from sherwin williams paint stores. Not cheap, about 40/bottle IIRC. We came across it because my buddy was looking for a compound to reduce some scratches in ATV plastic for a bike he was going to sell. He ended up wet sanding as the sand paper was cheaper than the compound. I have seen some pretty coarse cutting compounds at auto zone too, but i'm not sure if those would be too coarse. hth

--chris"

"Wet sand it, sissy. <[img]"ht

"Wet sand it, sissy.
biggrin.gif
Just kidding; it's a bitch but produces a beautiful finish. I would be concerned that it might cut too deep.
proud.gif
"

exactly it may cut too deep. s

exactly it may cut too deep. so a good cutting compound would do near the job a lot faster and safer!

I had some good oxidation on m

I had some good oxidation on my boat due to not using for a couple of years.......Bought a motorcycle = less gas = more beer..........LOL

Anyway I bought some powdered OXICLEAN from wallmart and mixed it with water. It took 90% of the oxidation off. I could not believe it.

I then used a maguires cleaner/wax with the tried and true method of WAX ON WAX OFF and it actually came out pretty good.

I should add that as Guy said

I should add that as Guy said a manual wet sand is probably the only way to restore what may be left of your gellcoat finish.

This is a factory reccomendation from Boat manufactures. Called and asked them............

"Wet sanding a boat i would th

"Wet sanding a boat i would think would be easier than some other item(like a car), as the thing is made to be put in the water. Launch it, get into some shallows, hop over board and go nuts. Great thing about that you'll be able to access every square inch of the hull, and you'll be less prone to sweat. Sure you'll have to do the parts above the water line the old fashioned way, but i think it would work well(at least in the lakes i boat in that have lots of sandy spots). I'll try to track down the name of that compound i was talking about and get back to you

--chris"

"Oxiclean, read it somewhere,

"Oxiclean, read it somewhere, is nothing more than 2% hydrogen peroxide. Now I know there are three things it will clean; boats, protein stains and dog urine in carpet if used w/hot carpet cleaner."

Some of the blue areas on my b

Some of the blue areas on my boat looked faded. Would wet sanding restore those types of areas as well? I have tried several polishes and waxes and nothing has really worked.

"I use Interlux wax and sealer

"I use Interlux wax and sealer. It seems to do the best to restore a decent shine, without turning to the abbrasives. Got the best results by doing small, 1ft x 1ft, areas at a time.
Fairly expensive as waxes go and very time and labor intensive... helps pass the time when the fish aren't biting though."

"Guys, what about this product

"Guys, what about this product I've heard about called buff magic?

youtube it, that might be what I'm looking for and something some of you might want to try too.

the middle of my boat is blue flake that looks as good as it did in 84 when the boat was new, the bottom looks new, only the top has a SLIGHT pearl/off white color to it........IT'S NOT CHALKY or nothing near that bad u can just tell it's not bright white like it used to be.

this boat has always been kept in a garage with closed doors just what amount it's been on the water in use in the past 24 years I guess it's finally showing a slight color change."

Back