Logo

Freeze plug location in MC 120

noknees

"Hi all,
I just had given t

"Hi all,
I just had given to me a 1982 or 1983 16 fter with a MC 120 in it. Its got so many issues that I am just trying to decide wether I should scrap it or work on it.

The most central issue right now is whether the block is cracked or not. The boat has been in outside storage for 7 years in the NE and may have not been winterized. When I first went to crank it it leaked rusty water out of the flywheel housing around the starter.

The boat was put in storage because the boot/bellows was torn

So my question.

Is it possible the water that came out came from the torn boot/bellows? Or is there a freeze plug on the back of the block that might have popped?

Many thanks"

there is a core plug back ther

there is a core plug back there that most likely popped when it froze - the odds the block is scrap are pretty good. Crank your head up under the exhaust manifold with a bright light- you'll see if it's cracked. If the oil level seems high - probably a gallon of water in the bottom of the pan - as you run it the oil will turn to chocolate milk in the course of a minute or two. They are easy to pressure test if you do it BEFORE you start tearing the engine down...don't do that

The oil looks good.. first thi

The oil looks good.. first thing I checked.. out to look at the block now.

This is my first time playing with a stern drive(inboards are more my thing). Is there a way to get at the plug without pulling the engine?

how long did you run it? of co

how long did you run it? of course the oil looks good- oil floats on water.

"Pull the engine.

Before yo

"Pull the engine.

Before you do anymore work on it, see if the transom, floor, floor stringers and engine mounts are waterlogged and/or rotted. Throw it away if it has rot unless you enjoy getting dirty. BTDT."

"The floor is sound. The engin

"The floor is sound. The engine mounts are solid and as much of the stringers as I can see look ok.

I just did the stringers, foam and floor on my 77 Nautique and I don't want to do that again anytime soon.

I am thinking that this I/0 is junk. my goal was to get it going again and sell it and I suspect that its going to cost more than the boats worth.

Are there boat junk yards or do I just cut it up with a sawsall and take it to the dump?"

Back