Logo

1990 43L starter wiring question

"Main B+ (red) fro

"Main B+ (red) from battery.
Yellow/red from key-switch -through remote control neutral switch: for activating starter relay.
Purple/black: Bypasses the blue/orange resistor cable (external coil resistor) during 'start'. As battery voltage drops to about 10+ volts during cranking, the coil will still get its nominal voltage of about 9 volt and give proper spark. If voltage to coil were to go through the blur/orange resistor cable, coil voltage will drop below 7 Volts and close to no spark.
When key in 'run', voltage goes throug the blue/orange and not the purple black."

"Thats strange. As I mentione

"Thats strange. As I mentioned in another post, before removed and replaced the engine I had disconnected/terninated the "exc" purple/red (you called it blue orange) for a electronic igiition conversaion and it worked fine. I thought I put everything back on the same but now it wont start until I put that wire back on the coil. It runs but it really bugs me that its not like before.
Any ideas? 1990 omc 4.3"

"If replacing the engine invol

"If replacing the engine involved a 'new' starter, that might be the reason, or Your battery might have lost some cranking voltage.
It just underline what I wrote above."

"Thanks Morten. No new starte

"Thanks Morten. No new starter. The problem when the "exe" wire was not connected the engine cranked fine and lit but when I stopped cranking and went to "run" at the switch it died. I cant see how the coil energized (voltage) in the configuration I had it in with that wire floating as is the instructions in the igni. conversion, But it wirked. Are you familiar with the Prestolite electronic conversion where you make a few modificataions in the wiring. Its driving me nuts.
thanks for the help"

Back