Logo

IO Water Pump Impeller Replacement

vinny_c

"I am looking at changing out

"I am looking at changing out the impeller and anything else that looks worn in the outdrive water pump in my 5.0L Mercruiser this off-season. It overheats at 3000+, and the impeller's never been changed since 2000 (!). I am also going to pull the elbows and inspect/replace, since rust is showing at the spot where the starboard elbow meets the manifold. SHould I keep going and pull the manifolds, or will I be able to see pretty much if they're blocked up without pulling them?
Any tips/tricks/ things to watch out for on the impeller job? I'm a fairly accomplished shade tree mechanic, and I have a good set of tools, but I'm new to boats."

Make sure you have the manual!

Make sure you have the manual!!!!!!!!other than that you may need a bellows tool but it can be done without it just be careful not to rip the new ones....and good luck

"[b]"I am also going to pu

""I am also going to pull the elbows and inspect/replace, since rust is showing at the spot where the starboard elbow meets the manifold. SHould I keep going and pull the manifolds, or will I be able to see pretty much if they're blocked up without pulling them? "

Ayuh,...

Once you pull the Risers,... You can see if the manifolds need replacing....

Look for the thread,.. "Ayuh,.. The Backdoor is again Open"...
You can find the factory service manuals from there..."

Back