Logo

Bravo I Water Pump which hose

schroederokc

"Someone please help me here..

"Someone please help me here...mechanic left hoses off my waterpump after winterization last year, not sure which hose goes where and 2 local mechanics told me opposite answers...

I have a Bravo I, 7.4L...pump is low on starboard side of engine. On rear of pump has a top and bottom hose hookup. Pump body is a plastic (composite).

Thanks for the help."

"Frank,

I have a 1994 7.4L

"Frank,

I have a 1994 7.4L 454 with a bravo I. I am not sure if there is any reason for the setup to be different, but I can tell you my upper hose travels to the oil cooler and the lower hose goes to the transon. i also double checked the seloc manual and it looks to be the same."

"Tom,

Thanks a million. My

"Tom,

Thanks a million. My repair manual doesn't show which one goes where, and some stuff Mercruiser sent me actually shows it both ways...so confusing. I guess it depends which engine you have."

"I hear ya! I've been try

"I hear ya! I've been trying to find and waterflow restriction and just had those hoses off. I'm sure about mine because i just removed the top one and flushed back from the oil cooler. Do you have a fuel pump mounted directly to the water pump. I'm not sure if that makes adifference, but mine does? Glad I actually had an answer for somebody else for a change. good luck"

"Mine did have the fuel pump o

"Mine did have the fuel pump on it, but it was disconnected when I bought it. The previous owner had an electric fuel pump put on, seems to work good. I took off the mechanical pump and put a cover over the hole where it was...no problems so far."

You can install a bowl primer

You can install a bowl primer button on the dash to prime the carb bowl for short cranks. Electric won't last as long as mechanical. JMHO!

"Frank,

I am curious to see

"Frank,

I am curious to see how you made out with your hoses. I was with someone else who has a bravo and the hoses were opposite of mine. His top outlet came from the bell housing and the bottom went to the cooler. Hope I caught you in time."

"Well, I learned a valuable le

"Well, I learned a valuable lesson here. Why there is a difference, I don't know. I called Mercruiser 4 times, and each time received a different answer. Why, I don't know. So, after getting frustrated with the whole thing, here is what I did...

I unhooked the hose from the power steering cooler to the thermostat. I then started the boat with the hoses the way yours are hooked up. I ran the boat for 15 seconds, no water. I then flushed everything, and reversed the hoses on the pump. Eureka! Started pumping water...so on my engine, the intake is on the top, not on the bottom. Anyhow, now I know an easier way to make sure the pump is working.

Thanks for your help and concern...Next, I need to tackle a tune-up!

Thanks,

Frank"

"Frank,

Can't apologize

"Frank,

Can't apologize enough for the false info. It seems that the difference is whether the engine is left or right rotation. Not sure how to tell which is which.

Agian, sorry for misleading you."

Back