Logo

Which kind of OMC do I have

mklein

"I bought a 1985 Galaxy Day Cr

"I bought a 1985 Galaxy Day Cruiser from owner and it came with no manual. It is (rather was) a Chevy 350/260hp 5.7l.

Outboard only says OMC...is this 400, 800, Cobra, King Cobra?

thanks,

mike"

"400 only went behind 4 cylind

"400 only went behind 4 cylinder engines, but 1985 was a transition year from 800 series to Cobra - so If it's in fact an 85, and is an 800 series, it should be painted silverand have a quadrant gear for tilting up the drive with exposed teeth, and more specific for 1982 to 1985 it would be an "800 series mechanical shift",
If it has hydraulic tilt cylinders behind the boat out on the outdrive to raise and lower it, it is a Cobra drive, and will be more of a charcoal grey. "

"You have an OMC 800. The V6 a

"You have an OMC 800. The V6 and the V8 got the 800 and the 4 cylinder got the 400. The Stringer type drives were made up through 1985. To make sure just look at the drive, if it has a large rubber boot around it its an OMC Stringer. Having the V8 means you have the 800."

We bought an 87 Galaxie of CA

We bought an 87 Galaxie of CA 19' w/ Cuddy Cabin. It has a 4.3L V6 with an OMC stern drive. Can anyone identify which Stern drive we have with the Serial or Model number T0024379? The Tag on the bottom of the stern drive was very corroded and hard to read. There were also some numbers looked like 989900?

"[b]"We bought an 87 Galax

""We bought an 87 Galaxie of CA 19' w/ Cuddy Cabin. It has a 4.3L V6 with an OMC stern drive. Can anyone identify which Stern drive we have "

Ayuh,... That would be the OMC Cobra....."

"Bondo, Thanks for the info. T

"Bondo, Thanks for the info. This is the first boat we've owned and we know nothing other than the informtaion I gave you. Bought the thing in CA and hauled it 500+ miles back to NE AZ. I thought it might be a Cobra from what I had researched but I could get the numbers to cross reference to anything I could find. Can you also tell me where to find the model information? Again please forgive me but we're total newbies to all of this and just don't want to wreck anything."

Back