Logo

Which thermostat

mkwhite2

I just purchased an 89 Regal A

I just purchased an 89 Regal Ambassador. It has a 5.7L Mercruiser Alpha with Thunderbolt ignition.
I know that these engines are based on 5.7L Chevy engines and therein lies my problem.
I was going to do some maintenance on this engine and It looks like a 140 and 160 degree thermostat is available. How do I know which to get?
The serial is OC714116.
This site shows a 5.7 GM and a 5.7 MIE.
I assume I need the MIE but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

"I am looking at changing out

"I am looking at changing out the impeller and anything else that looks worn in the outdrive water pump in my 5.0L Mercruiser this off-season. It overheats at 3000+, and the impeller's never been changed since 2000 (!). I am also going to pull the elbows and inspect/replace, since rust is showing at the spot where the starboard elbow meets the manifold. SHould I keep going and pull the manifolds, or will I be able to see pretty much if they're blocked up without pulling them?
Any tips/tricks/ things to watch out for on the impeller job? I'm a fairly accomplished shade tree mechanic, and I have a good set of tools, but I'm new to boats."

Vinny:

It's customary t

Vinny:

It's customary to start your own thread to get the most responses. I hope that by waiting to change the impeller after the engine is running hot that no damage has been done to the rest of the engine. Put in a complete impeller kit that has the top and the bottom. Follow the manual instructions. Pull the manifolds while there and send all pieces ou to a radiator shop for cleaning and pressure testing.

Back