Logo

Fuel Tank Venting

purset

I have an 17' INvader boat

I have an 17' INvader boat with a Merc 3.7 I/O. Recently I got into some very rough water and had to go very slow to prevent the boat from swamping. The motor started running rough and I managed to get to shore before it quit altogether. The reason was that water got into the gas through the vent which is located on the stern about 4" from the top of the deck. The vent is just a standard chrome fitting connected to a line that goes to the fuel tank. There is nothing to prevent water that gets into the line from going directly to the fuel tank. That vent has to be changed to a different location and/or type. Do you have any suggestions how I might vent the tank differently?

"Tom, Changing the vent to a n

"Tom, Changing the vent to a new location is probably not necessary if this only happened to you once. I've never gotten water in the fuel through the vent but I have leaked fuel out of the vent when I have a full tank and going down a steep launch. I solved the problem by using an old bilge plug that I had, the rubber kind that you can tighten up by flipping the handle or screwing a "T" on the end. If you tighten the handle a few turns after inserting it in the vent hole it will seal up. I then loosen the fuel fill cap slightly to vent the tank while running. Also leave the filler cap loose while standing for awhile to release internal pressure buildup in the tank. In normal running seas you just remove the plug and go back to the desing way.
Hope this helps.
Cal"

"Tom,

Try replacing the ven

"Tom,

Try replacing the vent fitting with the new recessed type with the built in trap.

If you don't want to cut in the recessed one go with the one with the protective cover."

"Ayuh,...

You've got to

"Ayuh,...

You've got to put a loop Up, before the line goes Down to the tank....
The Splashes will wash back out the vent, instead of running over the loop, down to the tank..."

Back