Logo

Bought Interceptor Motor Need Information

"My father recently purchased

"My father recently purchased an Interceptor Ford Marine Motor. The seller told him that he thought it came out of a '58-'59 Century wooden boat. He also thought it was 312ci and 150hp.

It has an all aluminum intake, exhaust manifolds, bell housing, etc. It has (2) Carter YH Carbs. We found the follwing numbers on the motor.

Number on intake manifold: EM408
Numbers on exhaust: FM502
Numbers on timing cover (cast aluminum-interceptor) : 5795

Any additional information that you can provide would be much appreciated."

"Brian,

312ci is a 215hp en

"Brian,

312ci is a 215hp engine. The 256ci is a 150hp
If it truely came out of a Century from '58 or '59 it would most likely be a 312 or a 292. I would look on the end of the heads, they should be stamped and you can use that to determine what size engine it is."

"you can go to my web page of

"you can go to my web page of the higgins that my father and i have restored and look at the engine restoration pictures we have a 1956 292 185hp interceptor. go the the link and then click on engine rebuild picturs.

Chris

www.freewebs.com/higginsboat"

"Hi guys,

Just a note about

"Hi guys,

Just a note about Century, Higgins, and the Interceptor motors. The FE motor started production in 1958 and I have seen them in Century and Higgins boats. Of note, the 352, 390, and 427. I know of a nice 427 powered Century, and also a Higgy that had a 400-hp 390 which the owner says was stock from the factory.

I'm real interested in the "two Carter Carbs" because that is a LOT of carb for a little 292 or 312.

One easy way to tell a FE motor, is the fact that the valve cover actually covers part of the intake manifold. Look closely.............if that valve cover is part way on the cylinder head itself, and part way covering a section of the intake manifold too, it is a dead ringer for a FE motor, and with two carbs that would make it something very special and the cylinder heads may be worth morethan the rest of the motor. My buddy with the 390 Higgins decided he was going to improve things and bought a set of expensive Edelbrock aluminum heads, and guess what happened...? The boat was slower than it was with the heads that came on the hi performance 390.

Regards,

Paul"

I have a 312 interceptor I am

I have a 312 interceptor I am thinking about selling. but not sure how I want to do it (entire package or parts) I have several pictures of it. What do you think the best most profitable way would be?

"Neal,
It depends on how muc

"Neal,
It depends on how much time you want to invest in the process. You may be able to nickle and dime your way to a large profit if you can sit on the parts and pieces over time but you will most likely have a pile of parts left over that you can't sell. If it were me I would sell it as a whole unit. Is it complete? do you have pictures? Where are you located and what would you want for it? I know a few people that are looking for a complete marinized 312"

"Steve good to hear from you a

"Steve good to hear from you again. I posted on this fourm when I first started to work on my 58 Chris Craft Capri.
http://s441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/nam58/engine/
Here is a link to a couple of pictures I just uploaded. I also have a old set of heads and a 4 brl manfold for the same engine I am currently working to upload, they should be up in a short while at this link."

"I have finished adding four m

"I have finished adding four more pictures to the photobucket site. The part numbers on the heads is 0609, the part number on the intake is ECZ-9425-B with the numbers 71 d below the above numbers."

"Well that is a unique home bu

"Well that is a unique home built water pump it looks like and a custome timeing chain cover as well. Appears that you have a velvet drive transmission, i know of couple guys that would be interested in that. If you do part out the engine I would be interested in the intake and carb set up."

Where is a good place to find

Where is a good place to find parts or at least ball park value for these parts of engine?

"Honestly the only thing of va

"Honestly the only thing of value i see on your engine is the intake and carb set up and the carbs would have to be gone through and rebuilt. The exhaust manifold maybe worth a lil depending on how burnt out they are on the inside, being that I can repair them I would have interest in them but wouldn't pay much for them due to the amount of work I would have to put in to them. As far as find a place for pricing this site is the best place, you have a captive audience."

"Paul,

Century first used t

"Paul,

Century first used the Interceptors in 1957, not 1958! Between my dad and I we have 4 Century's from 1957 with 312 Interceptors that are original, I also have original sales brochures that list the interceptor as being available starting in 1957."

"I will be parting this engine

"I will be parting this engine out, please post if intrested in parts of it or have questions about it."

Back