Logo

Leaking Water

hutch

"Was out this past weekend and

"Was out this past weekend and boat was running great until we left the beach we were at. Started to run rough and then stopped. Opened the engine hatch and noticed water in the hull. Got it started agian and check for leaks but did not see any. Started back to the dock and it stopped agian. Noticed more water. Had to be towed back to dock and was looking when being towed and no more water comming in. Only seemed to be rising when engine was running. When I put it on the trailer, I noticed that water was comming out between the trnasom and where the outdrive meets. Any ideas?? Alpha 1 outdrive with a 5.7L mercruise."

Either your shift cable bellow

Either your shift cable bellows has torn or your Ujoint bellows has torn.

"Did the engine overheat? Did

"Did the engine overheat? Did you notice the engine temperature at the time?

Sounds like a ruptured hose, or a hose that has come off, in the water cooling system. Water is drawn in from a set of smallish holes hear the bottom of the outdrive, this water is transported to your engine in order to cool it down.

There should be single hose behind the engine where the water comes in through the transom. Check to make sure it hasn't come off. This hose should run to the thermostat housing, where there will be several more hoses that transport water; check to see if those hoses are ruptured or have worked themselves loose.

EDIT: just saw Kghost's post. Since you saw water coming out b/w the outdrive and transom, I would bet that he's the one with the correct explanation. I don't understand why there would be no water coming in during the tow, though, if the bellows was ruptured."

"Yes, the first time it starte

"Yes, the first time it started to die, I did notice the temperature gauge rise before it died.
What would cause the shift or Ujoint bellows to tear? I did grease the outdrive that morning, about 7-10 shots in each fitting."

No water comming in while bien

No water comming in while bieng towed is because the boat is bieng pulled forward and the water level is lower than the bellows. My guess.

"How high did the temperature

"How high did the temperature get?

As far as the bellows tearing, lots of reasons, chief among which is just rot. How long has it been since the bellows has been replaced? Can you get to your boat easily to inspect both bellows? The rubber should be nice and pliable, with no tears (obviously!) ;)

Also in our area, muskrats love to chew on those rubbery bellows, for some reason."

Temp just got shy of 200. I wi

Temp just got shy of 200. I will check the bellows tonight. Thanks! I should of let it sank and collected the insurance $$$$$

"If you don't see anything

"If you don't see anything wrong with the bellows (shift bellows and U-joint bellows), check all water hoses inside the engine compartment.

I'm not sure, but 200 degrees is about the point at which alarms should start going off, and the engine should cut itself off, which it sounds like it did. I'm still suspecting water hoses in the engine compartment."

Back