Logo

Very hot hub but just on one side

botaman

Regular Contributor
"Folks,
The right side of my

"Folks,
The right side of my trailer hub is very hot when the other is just warm after an hour in of driving. I checked the brake shoes and bearings all seems fine.

What could cause the right side to heat up? Thank you in advance.

Do you think flushing the fluid would help? BTW, the trailer has a search brake."

"lack of maint. ,hubs should b

"lack of maint. ,hubs should be pulled and serviced yearly.Pull the hubs immediatly to clean and repack or I just might take your picture with a 1 wheel trailer on some highway someday"

"You're probably right. I

"You're probably right. I just got the boat this Summer. So far, new tach, speedometer, new depth-fish finder and GPS.

I guess new bearings and brake overhaul is next. Thank you for the reply."

I used to work for my dad at a

I used to work for my dad at an RV repair and sales. The average person has no idea how many travel and boat trailers(mostly boat trailers)we had come limping in with a dolly of some sort under the twisted off spindle or because the bearings go so hot the inner race gets fused to the spindle and the bearing comes apart in the hub. I think boat trailers are the worst for regular maintenance because people buy the boat for recreation...not the trailer.

You definitely need a bearing

You definitely need a bearing job. When you do replace them do both sides and install "bearing buddies" and grease them often. With the "buddies" its a snap and they should last a long time.

"The bearings may not be bad.

"The bearings may not be bad. Replace if they are bad. The way they go together, it is easy to over tighten them and if you do so, they will generate heat.

Take the taper bearings out and grease them. Let me know if you need direction for greasing. Then with old (if not pitted or blue) or new bearings and races, reasemble and tighten the nut on the spindle while turning the wheel. feel for lateral play as you are tightening nut. Once the play has gone away, give it another half turn and lock down the castle nut and cotter pin. Use marine grease if you dunk the trailer."

I just got my boat this summer

I just got my boat this summer as well and you can never trust that the proper maintenance was done. My trailer looked like it was stored under water!!! Good idea to take a good look at them to be sure.

Cheers Norm

What size do you think my trai

What size do you think my trailer bearings are? Is it 1"? It is a EZ load that came with the Larson 180 SEI.
Should I get the bearings at Western marine or should I go to NAPA or something like that?

Thank you folks.

Use NAPA or something like tha

Use NAPA or something like that. Read the info on the bearing rim or take one w/you. STAY AWAY FROM CHINESE bearings. I had to have a bearing in a hurry last summer and found it at Tractor Supply. Tried for 30 mins. to insert the new race; damn thing was a few thousandths of an inch too big. Bearing fit but not the race; box said Made in China.

"Guy,

I'm with you 100

"Guy,

I'm with you 100% on Chinese made crappies. Let's bring the manufaturing sector to the good old USA."

"Found the culprit, it's t

"Found the culprit, it's the drum brake cylinder, it's frozen.

Now the challenge is to find one and who has them."

"You will probably need to by

"You will probably need to by a complete brake backplate assy. from a marine dealer or camper service center. It's more than likely your fluid is rusty in color. If you try to bleed the brakes you may break the master cylinder seal.

Consider doing both sides, turn the drums and flush the brake fluid using short strokes on the master cylinder. I did mine last season and ended up replacing every single part of the trailer brake system including the brake lines; RUST in the system was the PIA!!!"

"My nickle's worth:
Beari

"My nickle's worth:
Bearing Buddies are the only way to go.
I only ever give mine a few strokes of grease about twice a year, and I have not had a bearing failure since I started using them about 10 years ago.

Rod"

"You don't need to replace

"You don't need to replace every part. Fix what is broken. Put wheel cylinders on (both sides) and change fluid. Good work doing it all yourself, Alex."

Back