Logo

Repower Questions

glenn_w

"Now that I've figured out

"Now that I've figured out that the engine is indeed bad, I would like your imput on the next step. The current engine is a 1990 with mechanical fuel pump, if I buy a new engine should I upgrade to the electronic fuel pump version with the balance shaft or will there be issues bolting up all of the periferals? Is there any advantage with the newer version, electronic fuel pump or balance shaft? Or should I just play it safe and keep to the original style? The pricing is virtually the same. I will be keeping my 2 barrel carb (I like the fuel economy). Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks again."

Have you considered looking in

Have you considered looking into the problem with yours? Maybe you just need a valve job. Do you think the bottom end has problems? I personally would pull the heads and have a look. Take them to a good machine shop and tell them which cylinders were down in compression. They can tell if the valves/seats were a problem. For a couple hundred bucks they can make them good as new. With the heads off you can inspect your cylinders for issues.

"I probably need to take a ste

"I probably need to take a step back and think about it. I've been so frustrated with the problems, even though that wouldn't have happened if I had just rechecked the compression sooner. I'll probably take that advice and check the engine out thoroughly before ordering the new one. The oil is extremely clean, so there really shouldn't be major issues with the bottom end. On the other hand it is 18 years old. The down cylinders were on both banks, so I would guess that a general rebuild may be in order. That is why I was considering the new engine, I can buy a new one for $2,000. Any idea what I'd have in parts and machine shop labor to rebuild it?
Thanks again."

"What I would do on this engin

"What I would do on this engine would depend on what I knew of it's history. How long have you owned it? What do you know about it's 18 years? How many hours per year has it been run? Has it been abused? Has it been mantained properly? These engines are pretty tough and with proper maintenance can last a long time. Most boats (at least in my neck of the woods) dont see much action in a year. It's very possible that a valve job is all it needs. And don't forget Hystat's question- "What is the condition of the outdrive" A $2k engine is useless in front of a worn out drive.
Now, you said you grew up working on engines. How much are you willing (and able) to do yourself? You can R/R the heads pretty quickly with the engine in the boat. If that turns out to be your problem you are up and running pretty soon and haven't spent that much $. If the problems are more serious well,
I have the same engine. I did a total rebuild on it and spent $600-$700 in parts and machine work. Mine had a thrown rod and many other problems from serious abuse and neglet by the previous owner. My boat was a basket case from one end to the other. Thats why I was able to buy it (boat, motor, and trailer) for $200. I still think the guy got to me!
That's my 3 cents. Sorry if it seems more like 3 dollars...."

"I have owned the boat for 2 y

"I have owned the boat for 2 years and know nothing about the maintenance or how it was treated. I would guess from the condition of the rest of the boat that minimal maintenance was done. I think you are right that I should pull the heads and see what it looks like. I have only rebuilt 2 car engines, half a dozen tractors and more motorcycle and atv engines than I can count. Same mechanical principles, just more of them on multicylinder engines. 6 or 7 hundred sounds better than 2K. I'll pull the heads this weekend and let you know what I find. Yes, I'm concerned about the drive, but it seems sound. Clean lube, no odd noises and frankly if I had to replace it at the same time as the engine I probably wouldn't. Wanna buy a boat?

I feel gotten as well, but I've been happy and comfortable with the boat and have caught a ton of fish and spent hours with my son, so I guess it's been worth it.

Thanks again."

"Well, I pulled the engine tod

"Well, I pulled the engine today and checked it over. There was water in one cylinder, looked like leaky head gasket. Also looked like the head gasket was leaking between cylinders. Most cylinders were lightly scored with one scored fairly strong and the one that was rusty from the water. I also pulled the rod caps on a couple and would probably have the crank at least polished if I were to rebuild it and put new bearings in. Other than that, didn't look too bad, lol. I'll be pricing parts and machine work on Tuesday and deciding whether to rebuild or buy the new one. Any thoughts? Would you have both mating surfaces done (Heads and block)? I should probably have the heads completely done as well."

Back