Logo

1990 OMC Cobra Reinstall

B

Brett Cobler

"I just removed my outdrive ye

"I just removed my outdrive yesterday to install a new lower shift cable. I have the new cable in, but I'm having a ton of trouble getting the drive back on the boat. Everything slides in fine until the first u-joint goes in and then it hangs. I've tried applying pressure and turning the u-joint, but nothing seems to work. It almost acts like the inner spline and the bearing are out of alignment, so the splines won't match up. Is this possible since nothing has changed since I removed the drive? If so, how can I get these back in alignment? If anyone has any tips for getting the drive to go back on, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks"

"Alignment should be checked a

"Alignment should be checked and adjusted with the aid of an alignment bar. The front engine mount is adjustable and if the front mount doesn't get you aligned, you may have to service the rear mounts.

this should get you to the page with the bar on it:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/sierra_marine/sierra00770.htm"

"So I found out today that if

"So I found out today that if I unhook the bellows, the drive slides right in. So I'm thinking that maybe the rubber is old and hard and not letting the u-joint yoke slide through like it should. So I'm ordering some new bellows and hoping this will solve the problem. Does this sound logical to anyone? Any tips for having better luck installing the drive with the new bellows?"

I had this same problem. Its

I had this same problem. Its had to get the spline lined up and hold the drive up in the air at the same time. If you simply took it out without doin ganything to the engine them nothing needs to be aligned.

Back