Logo

Gearcase dismantling

agforman

"I have a Evinrude 60HP attach

"I have a Evinrude 60HP attached to Hydroelecric Shift lower unit with no forward drive - how do you strip these gearbox out, never dismantled one before. I have removed the water pumps, solenoiods, etc, inc the 4 allen key bolts at the back of the propshaft, but can't get either the drive shaft or propshaft to pull out - help!"

"The carrier assembly that the

"The carrier assembly that the propshaft rides in must be removed first, then two large snap rings, then you can remove the propshaft, shifter dog, and reverse gear. Now you can remove the pinion nut from the bottom of the driveshaft. After removing the pinion gear and driveshaft, you can remove the oil pump."

I have 1962 johnson 40 HP. Im

I have 1962 johnson 40 HP. Im having the worst time replacing the water pump. I have taken off the lower unit and replaced the pump . the problem is getting it all to slide back up the driveshaft and over the key corectly. should I take the driveline out to do this? it sure does seem like it would be a lot easier if I did. and if I do need to. how do I get the drive shaft to come out?

"I had this problem, with the

"I had this problem, with the seal turning inside out as they slid over the driveshaft - solved it by putting cellotape over the grove at the top of the drives shaft where the rubber o ring sits - the cellotape allowed the seals to slide on without problem!"

"Having trouble - "The car

"Having trouble - "The carrier assembly that the propshaft rides in must be removed first" how do you shift this - have removed the four allen keys but can't pull it out, seems firmly stuck - any tips???"

"Tony.... Yes, those carrier a

"Tony.... Yes, those carrier assemblies can be quite tight due to corrosion.

Use a large size slide hammer that has a hook on the end to grab that carrier, and heat the outer portion of the aluminum with a hand held propane torch."

Back