Logo

Cannot Find Sparkplug Wires for 502 Mercruiser

lplsherman

"I have had the hardest time f

"I have had the hardest time finding marine grade sparkplug wires for my Gen 5 and Gen 6 502 Merc. motors. I have bought a couple of sets thus far and none of them have fit correctly. I have used Magstar and Mallory wires and neither of them have fit. Either they were too short for the number 1, and 2 cylinders or the boots on the wires that go on to the sparkplug were not straight boots.

I have a Mallory Unilite Distributor with a cap that has female receptors on the top, and I have Gill exhaust manifolds. I have a suspicion that with the Gill exhaust manifolds I am adding an additional length requirement to the wires. Not sure though.

My ideal setup would be to find wires that were at least 44 inches long for the 1, and 2 cylinders and which had 90 degree boots going into the distributor cap and straight boots going on to the spark plugs.

The old wires that were on the motors were Aqua Power plugs, which from what I have heard from local venders, Sierra has stopped producing these longer plugs.

The obviously answer is to get ones custom made, although I am afraid that route could be pretty pricy. Does anyone know of a distributor/vendor that would have such wires?

Thanks in advance."

"Call Fred on Monday. If he do

"Call Fred on Monday. If he doesn't have them, he'll be able to tell you where or if he can."

"Do you have the original part

"Do you have the original part number for the wire set you need? Or is the original set not long enough due to the manifold?

Sounds like you have researched what Sierra offers, but just in case here is the link to the page with mercruiser wire sets."

"Again, thank you for the resp

"Again, thank you for the response. Unfortunately I do not have the part number. For some reason it is not printed on the wire itself. The wires that I want to replace do fit around the gill manifolds. Right now the longest wires is approx 44 inches.

I am having issues with the engines as far a power loss at higher RPM's and i have replaced the coils, caps, plugs, and fuel seperators and now its time for wires. Quite honestly I thought these were going to be the easiest part to get my hands on."

One other suggestion: You can

One other suggestion: You can buy wires and connectors separately from Jeggs or Summit and make up your own set. Have had similar problems with my Chryslers.

Jeff

Back