Logo

Spray in foam where to have it done new pics of my progress

weider1717

Contributing Member
"Ok long story short, 1984 boa

"Ok long story short, 1984 boat I have developed a gas tank leak.

pulled the tank and cleaned it all up..undecided what to do with the tank replace it or repair.

**BUT heres the deal after I took the tank out I noticed there was sprayed in foam under it...ok so here are some pics of the area AFTER I pulled up all that ole NASTY foam....**I want to have new foam sprayed in that is like what came out..what kinda places do this and offer the type foam I need.

The pics show the cleaned up area then the foam I pulled up u can see how in the pics I lay broken pieces I pulled up BACK in there to show it was sprayed in there..so you get the idea.

need help guys I wanna get this done so I can enjoy what little bit is left of the summer in my boat.

here are the pics below!

cleaned up
url]

a chunk i'm about to lay back in place
url]

back in place
url]
"

"Sam,

Check with yuor local

"Sam,

Check with yuor local autobody supply store, I've heard of a high density foam spray that is used in that industry that I think would work for you as well, spray it in, let it cure, take a hand saw blade and cut it flush."

Sam:

I have a dealer's

Sam:

I have a dealer's name that sells marine spray foam on my main PC; I'll send it to you later.

"thanks david and guy.

I we

"thanks david and guy.

I went to this site yesterday: http://mysuperiorfoam.com/

and emailed them they got back with me they spray houses but they're close by and think they can duplicate or match the foam and purpose up very close to what came out of my boat.

but I'll hold off and see about getting some of the marine spray foam from your source, I take it this is something I can do myself?

thanks again guy ur a huge help"

"Guy that is EXACTLY what I&#3

"Guy that is EXACTLY what I've been looking for....a do it myself type deal looks great!

System 1 their smallest system should do the trick..

Wonder how much it'll run tho? any idea?

guess I'll call them tomorrow, thanks man!"

"The house foam you looked at

"The house foam you looked at first is an open cell foam. This foam is 97% closed cell. You'll have to secure the fuel tank in place and then spray the foam or it may lift the tank. Ask them if they have an extension wand for application in tight areas.

If you have a built in cooler you can add foam insulation to it or a livewell to keep the temp cool for the live fish. IT'S SOME REAL STICKY S...T!!! You'll need some acetone for cleanup. Remember about the expansion rate or it will be all over the place before you can spell CAT!

When I did my refurb of the stringers, transom and floor on my boat I purposely left out the foam. I found this product and still didn't replace the foam. Let me know how you do; I may by a tank and do it anyway."

The place I talked to does off

The place I talked to does offer closed cell foam tho he did tell me that. I think I'm still going to go with the versa foam bc I like doing my own work bc I'm pretty picky and afraid they won't be neat enough.

I suppect this stuff will be pricey tho.

you say u have chose before not to replace it? why? Well..I guess it's only good for floatation if the boat sinks right..to keep it at waterline

my tank actually wasn't encapsulized in foam the bottom was just lined in foam at most 1" thick.

but I think I'll still fix it back like factory and put it back

""...chose before not to r

""...chose before not to replace it? why?"

While I was refurbishing my boat, the foam I removed was waterlogged and probably weighed several hundred pounds. The moisture laden foam caused the wood rot. One boat rebuilder/mechanic stated that he wouldn't put it back along w/one of his customers said he put it back and wished that he didn't. So, I figured I would still be able to install it later.

In your case, I (me only; no presssure on you) would use a dense rigid blue styrofoam 4'x8'x1" panel cut to fit instead of spray foam. You only want to cushion the fuel tank w/spray foam. Both foams will do that and help keep the fuel cool. If you have room, you could also put on a top layer of styrofoam panel to help dampen tank vibration while under way. Panels are also less mess, easily removed, simple to work with and less expensive."

guy...promise 1 last question

guy...promise 1 last question for advice.

Found a distributor that sells the versa foam I'm going to order system 1.

ok in your opinion should I get the normal system 1 kit or the system 1 class 1 fire rated kit.

fire rated kits are somewhat flame resistant I think is all the diff is.

thanks

"Ask all you want. If the fir

"Ask all you want. If the fire rated foam makes you feel secure then use it. If the boat catches fire, I don't think a small amount of fire rated foam will make a difference when the boat is burning; I'm jumping ship!"

Back