Logo

Gimble greasing

homerl

Regular Contributor
"My 86 305 mercruiser I believ

"My 86 305 mercruiser I believe it's a alpha 1 outdrive.I'm confused to where the grease nipple is?Not sure if you grease it from inside the boat,or near the transom outside the boat.Thanks for any help

dave"

Outside; facing the stern it&#

Outside; facing the stern it's at 3:00 O'clock up against the stern. It may have a black nipple cover on it. Pump the grease handle about 15-20 times.

"have the engine running while

"have the engine running while you're greasing it. It will be hard to grease with engine running(at least mine is) if you over grease it the grease will just smush out into the bellows, so don't worry about too much.

--chris"

"You can do what you want but

"You can do what you want but I have never grease a gimbla bearing with any engine rinning.

You should remove the outdrive to service/grease the ujoints. They are as important as the gimbal bearing. With the outdrive OFF, you now stick your fingers in and spin the gimbal bearing to feel if it is nice and smooth. After doing this then grease the bearing and the fitting is as said ~ 4 oclock on the right side as you are facing the transom. You can watch the grease come out of the bearing and determine if it is correctly installed by where the grease comes out.

That is the best and ONLY way to do it in my opinion."

Back