Logo

Gimble bearing

bill_k

Regular Contributor
98 alpha 1 gen 2 5.7L --- nee

98 alpha 1 gen 2 5.7L --- need to know what has people seen from the bearing being installed and never greased.

i've heard they make a hec

i've heard they make a heck of a groaning noise when doing turns when they begin to fail. Grease it with the engine idling and maybe you can keep it from failing until you get a chance to replace. gl

--chris

Why do you ask this question?

Why do you ask this question?
did you have a bearing installed and never greased?

"ok here is the story, my neig

"ok here is the story, my neighbor had his out drive serviced at the beginning of the season and at that time they replaced the gimble bearing, the last time he was out there was a very loud squealing noise coming from the back of the boat, then the motor started to bog down and then shut off. he let the boat sit for a little bit then restarted it and the noise was still there even in neutral. he took the boat back to the tech and the tech said that the out drive failed and needed to be replaced and while in there he needed to replace the gimble bearing again which is only a couple of months old.."

"Two things can cause gimbal b

"Two things can cause gimbal bearing failure: lack of grease and failing to properly align the
drive unit with the engine - requires a special tool for alignment. Have him be there when the
gimbal bearing is removed. It will be dry, blue
and probably siezed if it was not lubed. The
worse thing that could have happened is it seized
and spun in the carrier requiring replacing the inner transom plate. The bearing is spinning when
in neutral."

"Engine alignment causes the H

"Engine alignment causes the HUB to fail. Not typically the gimbal bearing.

What causes the gimbal beraing to typically go bad is,
1. no grease.
2. water has removed the grease wether it came from inside the boat or from the outside (Ujoint BELLOWS). The water displaces the grease and then it is steel on steel.

A new bearing has some grease in it when it is new, Not much but some.

If the outdrive failed it most likely is the upper gear case because there was not enough gear oil to keep the upper bearing lubed! If they serviced it and "pressure checked" the outdrive and it was OK then maybe they forgot one of the drain plug washers and some of the gear lube leaked out.

Unless your friend hit something between the time the outdrive was serviced and when it failed. there really is no reason for it to fail, all of a sudden. There needs to be a investigation as to why it failed so blame can be assigned. Whether it is due to him or them or "mother Nature".If he needs a new outdrive and the service shop is responable they should be replacing it on there dime!!!!

You would hope that the placed that did the gimbal bearing in the first place would have HAD to align it with the motor or they would not have been able to get the outdrive back in very easily if at all.

I would pull the boat and bring it to another shop for a diagnosis."

Typical life span is years if

Typical life span is years if maintained properly and does not get exposed to water. Mine has been in my own boat for well over 20 years!

Back