Logo

1992 Yamaha 250 runs 10 min than starts missing and losing rpm

ocean

"1992 Yamaha 250 starts easy

"1992 Yamaha 250 starts easy idles out of harbor fine, cruises fine at 4400 rpm and above for about 10 minutes. It will than miss once or twice followed by a reduction in RPM, and rpm surging. I can advance the throttle and keep the rpm up somewhat, but it will surge.
It will idle in gear with some missing. If i shut down and wait 20 minutes it will than run fine again for 10 or so minutes before acting up again.changed inline and on engine fuel filter, changed electric fuel pump. drained all carberator bowls, still erratic. Any thoughts?"

"you may have a fuel resrictio

"you may have a fuel resriction, totally eliminate the boats fuel system by running from a seperate fuel supply, run a seperate fuel line straight to the motor."

"There are three diaphram pump

"There are three diaphram pumps on side of the engine, and the electric below the carberators. I had tried pumping bulb to assist but no change. I will try isolating it all today by using a seperate 6 gallon fuel tank. any other thoughts?

Thanks for your help!"

Oem part# 61a-13910-01-00. Or

Oem part# 61a-13910-01-00. Ordered from Yamaha dealership. Parts list calls it out as a "fuel pump assembly". The boat is carberated. pump plugs into the factory harness and fuel lines.

"Ah, I see, I just took apart

"Ah, I see, I just took apart and inspected all the fuel pumps looking for potential problems. That particular pump showed alot of wear internally so I changed it. Do you have any thoughts on the strange reactions the boat is having to my wanting to go fishing?
thank you for your help"

"I purchased a factory manual

"I purchased a factory manual and studied the troubleshooting section. Im not sure on the best place to start with the balance of the trouble shooting.
Boat starts easy runs normally at cruise for about 10 minutes. will miss once or twice, continue running for aprox 1-2 more minutes where it will have an erratic rmp reducton. Power is stabil between 1100 and 1700 rpm. Some rpm can be gained back but erratically if throttles are put to firewall.(but not always)
Have varified good fuel to engine/and new plugs as well as the afore mentioned in the blog.
What would you reccomend checking next/first.
thanks Wayne"

Back