Logo

Water coming out of the dip stick

odster66

"I replaced freeze plugs that

"I replaced freeze plugs that had popped out on a 4.3 merc. When I started her up i noticed the oil pressure was maxed on the gauge, I looked away and when I looked back there was a rusty sludge coming out of the manifold gasket. It looked like mud. There is also water coming out of the dipstick when I pulled it this morning. Michigan Motorz here I come, unless there are any other ideas of what is might be that I can solve with the motor in the boat.

Thanks do all,"

"your block is junk obviously.

"your block is junk obviously. Time to think long and hard about what you want to invest in this boat. Is it worth dumping $5000 to $7000 in for a drop in motor? This boat was obviously neglected so plan for more expenses.
If considering putting a long block in, budget at least another $2000 on top of the motor $ for manifolds and all the other things you'll find wrong once you pull the motor. Plan on doing gimbal bearing, bellows and cables, carb and fuel pump, electrical, coupler, outdrive reseal (pull the lid off and look in at the top gears and bearings too) or buy a new SEI drive.
I would pull the engine, then take an ice pick to the stringers, floor and structure.
If you want an old hull full of new parts for about 50% of a new boat price, carry on...it's not a bad way to go. Just remember, that XX year old wire under the dash at the ignition key can still ruin your weekend... old is old"

Odie;
Might also be a good ti

Odie;
Might also be a good time to consider upgrading to a 5.7 or 6.2 if you have a desire for more performance (and what boat owner doesn't?).

You can get a complete bobtail dropin package that will include all new from the bellhousing forward.
Just a thought.

Rod

Back