Logo

Marine diesel engines with auto parts used for repairs

C

Chris Swann

"I'm writing a novel that

"I'm writing a novel that involves a fishing trawler explosion and I have a question about using auto parts to repair a diesel engine. I know it's considered unsafe to use auto parts in a marine diesel engine, unless those parts have been marinized. (Creates hot spots in engine, right?) I want to know how hard it would be to realize that a marine diesel engine HAD auto parts in it, if you had not put them in yourself. In my book, a character has used cheaper auto parts to repair his boat's engine. Another character does some work on the engine later, but doesn't realize there are auto parts in it. Is this realistic?"

"yes very possible some things

"yes very possible some things will interchange ,do some more digging
mercruser uses a vortec 4.3 v6 look down that ally"

"problem #1: what auto uses a

"problem #1: what auto uses a diesel engine big enough for a boat? none...see, Boats use BIG diesels.. medium duty truck size...like 5 ton trucks or heavy equipment....
Problem #2: diesel is such a safe fuel, there really isn't any special protection required.

It's gasoline powered boats that have all the marine specific parts because gasoline is so volatile.
Diesel isn't nearly as volatile (even though it has more energy...it's hard to get lit - a spark won't do it usually)..

so maybe have the villain put a bomb in the boat
or make it a gasoline powered boat

Diesels can "run away"...where the governor fails and the engine revs uncontrollably to destruction..that could start a fire...!! I can give details but I want to be on the cover ...my head on a harlequin romance body"

"Ayuh,.... Hy Stat is Right,..

"Ayuh,.... Hy Stat is Right,...

Your fiction is just Too far from any Possible Facts....
This is 1 of those,... "Only in the Movies"..."

Back