Logo

Rudder Post Leaking

richie

Regular Contributor
"Please look at the rudder pos

"Please look at the rudder post on my 35 motor yacht that is only 1.5 years old and tell me what you think. There is water seeping from it and obviously it has been since I've had the boat. Surely this can't be normal, you can see the green corrosion on the mount, this can't be good. Is it possible to tighten the two nuts on the post, if so how do I do it.

I feel I should tell my dealer (boat still under warranty)the entire post and mount needs to be replaced, but I have a feeling it will be impossible to convince him.

richie
217332.jpg
rudder post

"Rich,

Tightening won't

"Rich,

Tightening won't help anything. It appears as though the seal is leaking at the shaft. It may be possible to unscrew the seal cap and clean the shaft with some fine emery cloth or sandpaper. You will need to wrap is with a rag to keep out the bulk of the water but most likely the seal will need to be replaced.

The green is not a problem and none of the hardware is damaged but I would certainly have this taken care of the next time the boat is pulled.

Rick"

"My dealer sent a guy to the b

"My dealer sent a guy to the boat this morning. He said it's just the packing leaking and all it needs is to be tightened. He tightened it up and left. A few hours later I noticed it was still seeping. I know the dealer does not want to pay to have the boat pulled. I feel a running battle is about to begin.

Is their anything that will remove the blue-green corrosion, other than a wire brush?

richie"

"There is no packing in that s

"There is no packing in that system, it's a rubber seal like you would find on an axle shaft. That's why I said tightening it wouldn't help.

It can be repaired without pulling the boat but most guys are too timid to attempt it.

Any mild acid type cleaner will clean up your bronze fittings. Aluminex works real well."

">>It can be repaired

">>It can be repaired without pulling the boat...<<

By repaired I assume you mean the seal has to be replaced with a new one.
If so, is it a seal that can only be ordered from the boat manufacturer ?

richie"

"Not necessarily, there may ju

"Not necessarily, there may just be a burr on the shaft which can be polished off. The seal may need to be replaced.

The rudder port is made by Buck-Algonquin, you can get the seal from them or your dealer can order it through Silverton."

Back