Logo

Wet or Dry Manifold

P

paston1

I just bought my first I/O boa

I just bought my first I/O boat it has a 5.7 omc cobra. I have been around auto engines of this type for a very long time and was wondering what do they mean by WET or DRY exh. manifolds. I have welded up my own header before for race cars could i do this for my boat?

"Tim...maybe the pic below wil

"Tim...maybe the pic below will help but the ehaust manifold and riser is basically where the exhaust gases and used cooling water come together to go out the exhaust pipe (Y wipe)

217318.gif
"

Is this just to cool the exhau

Is this just to cool the exhaust gas? Would dry headers work on a boat? If I had a way of rerouting the water? The diagram does help jus curious as to why the water is there

"It's not just water from

"It's not just water from the exhaust but also from the block. Unless your boat has what we call closed loop cooling, this has a heat exchanger so the block has antifreeze cycling through it and it goes through the exchanger where it's cooled by the raw water from the lake. Most freash water boats just have what we called raw water cooling where the water pumped up from the lake goes through the block and manifolds to keep the engine and manifolds cool, some even have oil coolers and power steering coolers in there as well.

Not really sure what you are trying to do though, do you have a problem now or are you trying to create one?
lol.gif
"

"[b]"Would dry headers wor

""Would dry headers work on a boat?"

Nope,...

Your boat will catch Fire with all the Heat...."

"Thanks for the explanation. W

"Thanks for the explanation. Was just curious why a set of marine headers cost so freaking much, and why I can build my own headers for my cars so cheap."

"I know of a guy that welded u

"I know of a guy that welded up his own stainless marine manifolds - even made a cool slip joint for the selectrim in his boat to mate up with silent choice. If you have the skills you can do it - just twice the work with water jacketing, and twice the materials, and you have to use stainless of course."

Back