Logo

1981 Merc 140Pressure line from bottom of hydraulic pump

tymegoesbye

"Have a 1981 Sea Jay Boat with

"Have a 1981 Sea Jay Boat with a GM 140 hp 4cyl & a Merc 140 Stern Drive. The hose from the bottom of the, I think, an oildyne power trim pump is leaking. Can see the leak under the pump, but not the other end. Are there hose connections between the pump and the hydraulic hose connector under the outdrive or is it a single hose from the pump to the hydraulic hose connector on the bottom of the out drive? If there is a connector in between, can I get to it some way? Thanks"

If the tank is transparent pla

If the tank is transparent plastic then the leak is from a loose screw seal or the base is cracked at the screw.

"Guy, Thank you for the respon

"Guy, Thank you for the response. I'm guessing I confused you and probably everyone who reads my question with the "I think". Actually the leak is visible from the hose. I want to try to change the hose. I'm wondering if it is a single hose or if there is a connection somewhere between the pump and hydraulic connection under the stern drive that I need to be concerned with."

Guy Thanks for sending the di

Guy Thanks for sending the diagram. You have answered my question. Now to get the new hose on. Grandkids are waiting for a tow on the lake. Thank you again.
Norm

"Hurry up; I can hear their sc

"Hurry up; I can hear their screams from here!
sun.gif
"

"Were you able to replace the

"Were you able to replace the hoses? I just took my batteries out, wriggled down next to the engine, followed my two hydraulic hoses (both are disintegrating) as far as I could see and they seem to go out of sight into the outdrive. Say it isn't so! I was expecting an hour of cussing and now it looks like I may have to remove the engine to get to the fittings. Help!

It's a 1975 120HP Mercruiser.

Thanks."

I was able to replace the hose

I was able to replace the hose. A light and mirror helped orient me to the behing the engine stuff. No need to remove the engine. Guys help was tremendous. I see that he has sent the diagram that helped me. The hoses may be attached to the bulkhead behind the engine. Took me about an hour of actual work. The string attachment idea and grease saves a struggle. Dragged the grandkids around the lake again yesterday. Working fine.

Were you able to do it with th

Were you able to do it with the boat in the water? My boat resides in a slip. (I live in a floating home with an enclosed boatwell. Kind of like having an attached garage for your boats.)

Thanks!

--Brian

"I also started my own thread

"I also started my own thread with this question (before Norm and Guy answered this one.) I got an answer on it which leads me to believe that I must have the boat out of the water to do this. Apparently there is a plate or fitting where the hydraulic lines exit the outdrive and go to the cylinders. I understand that I must remove this plate and the other end of my hydraulic lines will be attached to the back of it. Then I would fish the hydraulic lines through the transom, bellows, etc., using the piece of heavy string that Guy recommended. Does that sound right?

Now I've got to figure out how to get this thing onto the trailer with no reverse. My usual boat ramp is just a little gravel thing behind the moorage and requires some maneuvering to get the boat into it. Maybe I can find a fancier ramp somewhere.

--Brian"

Back