Logo

Cause of Engine Alarm

hmeislin

"I have a 1999 7.4L with Bravo

"I have a 1999 7.4L with Bravo 3 outdrive. When I plane the boat0about 3500 RPM, my engine alarm goes off. Water temperature is fine, oil pressure is fine, gear oil reservoir is full. If I stay slow, less than 2500 RPM, the alarm never goes off. I've pulled each sensor wire and that is not the cause. any suggestions??

Will the knock sensor set off an alarm?"

"Some of the early MEFI3 syste

"Some of the early MEFI3 systems (for example the 7.4 MPI with FE28 checksum) had the Trouble Code alarm turned on, so it's possible this is what is happening. You can get an inexpensive Marine EFI Code Tool on ebay."

It also could be your neutral

It also could be your neutral switch. Try unplugging the swtch on the shift cable bracket.

"Harvey,

I have the same pr

"Harvey,

I have the same problem with my 2004 496 mag. The alarms go off though all readings are fine...and the engine will cut off at certain rpms/speed. It's intermittent."

"Alan,
The 496 (PCM555&#4

"Alan,
The 496 (PCM555) engine has several Faults that can set an alarm, but will not show any indication on your gauges.

Setting an alarm/fault code will cause the Engine Gaurdian to become active and will reduce the Available Power to as little as 0% (engine shutdown), depending on the severity of the problem. You will need a scan tool to connect to the engine to determine what fault is being set."

Back